The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a chance last night to dive the Blue Heron Bridge with my Teric. I rented tanks from Force E Scuba down the street. Great service! Teric worked awesomely during one hour of diving & navigating from point to point.

I just picked up a Teric and have noticed that some say it can be charged on an iQ wireless iPhone style charger and others say only to use the Shearwater supplied charger. Does anyone know officially if using an aftermarket charger will degrade the battery?

I just picked up a Teric and have noticed that some say it can be charged on an iQ wireless iPhone style charger and others say only to use the Shearwater supplied charger. Does anyone know officially if using an aftermarket charger will degrade the battery?
It definitely charges on a Qi pad, but I got a high battery temp warning after leaving it sitting on this Mophie charging pad that I use for my iPhone (with no issues) - so I just use the Shearwater charging dock now. Maybe too much power on the Mophie?

mophie - Charge Stream Pad+ 10W Wireless Charging Pad for iPhone/Android - Black

Last edited:
I have been using https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FJQ69P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_nbYzBb31D0274 for a while and really like it.

It is 10,000mah so lasts a bunch of charges before having to plug it in again, has USB ports so I can charge my phone and GoPro too, has never overheated or caused any problems, and tops the Teric from 30% to full in about a half hour. It is also a smart charger and turns off its wireless Qi charger as soon as the Teric is fully charged.

20180805_091000.jpg

20180805_091043.jpg

From previously in this thread

We haven't tried that specific charger, so not sure if it would work.

The best charger we tested was the Choetech model (CHOETECH Wireless Charger, Qi Certified T511), and it is quite inexpensive:

You can pair this (or the charger included with the Teric) with any portable power pack with a USB output port. The Teric battery is 560mAhr. I would derate a power pack down to about 40% of its capacity due to efficiency losses. Most portable power packs are at least 10,000mAhr (e.g Anker PowerCore 10000). So, (10000 * 0.4) / 560 = 7 charges. At 30 hours (minimum) per charge, this is at least 210 hours of portable operation.

Best regards,
Tyler
Shearwater Research

After 5 tries... finally found a perfect fit screen protector. Although others advertised as 40mm, most actually arrived as 30 or 35mm. This one's spot-on. Water hasn't evaporated yet, so picture still shows some screen haze which will eventually evaporate. Chose against glass as plastic film tends to handle rough environments better (yes, I prefer glass for non-scuba, dry protection). Here's the product link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JP6CNUY

Also, experimented with a few paints... this one is the closest light blue gloss enamel I could find. It's still wet in the picture as I'm on the 3rd coat... but once it dries, it's really close to the Shearwater blue. Hopefully this will help to avoid the uninvited twist as I'm about to dive in the water. Product link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CVO0UU

PS - Thanks for the suggestion with the Qi charger/battery... just picked one up. Perfect for the Teric!

teric transmitters.jpg

Has anyone tried this in colder water with 5mm or dry gloves? I haven't seen anyone using gloves in any of the videos, and those buttons look kind of tiny.
I dove this with 5mm gloves in lake Michigan. I did not do a lot of button mashing, but I did a little and the buttons were easy to use. I like being able to go back when you screw up and not have to go all the way around like my perdix!

Please can you elaborate?
I think he means someone grabbing the transmitter and trying to give it a turn instead of the valve handle. This has never happened to me in more than eight years, 1200 dives. It is attached to the 1st stage after all. It seems more people are fearful of someone picking up the tank by the transmitter by mistake, they put their transmitters on a short hose. This has never happened to me either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom