The Spokane team must be going nuts by now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
They have one t\hat has been going on for a couple of days and now they have another one missing in the river right down town.

Good luck and stay safe.

Gary D.

They just pulled a body out. At this time it's unk if it was the one they were looking for earlier.

Geeze, what a year for them.

Gary D.

This seems like the worst damn job guys. Why suffer through all this trauma for what seems like a job that just deals with deaths, do you guys actually get to save people as well?

Whats the reason you took this job?

Trinigordo:
This seems like the worst damn job guys. Why suffer through all this trauma for what seems like a job that just deals with deaths, do you guys actually get to save people as well?

Whats the reason you took this job?
Nah, it's a good rewarding job.

There has been a few rescues this year as well. Centeral Idaho just had a good one.
http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?id=49954&sectionId=46

Did my first one in the Navy and now it's in my blood.

Gary D.

It occurs to me to be the diving equivilent of being an encologist. I couldn't deal with that kind of mortality rate, I'd go nutso. But different personality types I guess, I know I'd crack facing the stuff I see you guys reporting in these threads.

When I was a rookie (20 years ago) the first few got to me. Kids still get to me. But after time you learn to tune some of it out.

PWCPD Diver:
When I was a rookie (20 years ago) the first few got to me. Kids still get to me. But after time you learn to tune some of it out.

But is tuning that tragedy out a good thing, my high school biology tutor just became a surgeon and his words were "Every patient that dies on my table, takes a piece of me with them" Doesn't this tuning out harden a person?

Well screw it, I am just glad you guys find this rewarding because it is very necessary and I know I couldn't be the one doing it, so for what it is worth, take a little bit of gratitude for doing the job.

they have another as of last night....there was priest river divers, bonner county divers and poderay county sar....

Trinigordo:
But is tuning that tragedy out a good thing, my high school biology tutor just became a surgeon and his words were "Every patient that dies on my table, takes a piece of me with them" Doesn't this tuning out harden a person?

Well screw it, I am just glad you guys find this rewarding because it is very necessary and I know I couldn't be the one doing it, so for what it is worth, take a little bit of gratitude for doing the job.
When you’re working on a person, trying to save their life and they die they may very well take a part of you with them. That isn’t quite the case with what we do.

First off let me add an explanation or a disclaimer here. We are, as a group, a very loving and caring bunch. We don’t do this for the victim that had suffered a water-related death. We do this for the family and survivors, as they need closure.

We also do it for anyone else that may have an opportunity of coming across a decomposing body. It can be very traumatic for a person to come across something like that without warning.

Now for the mindset we need to survive. A person is a living, breathing, loving, caring, object with a personality that makes that person.

When we are on a recovery we are looking for a person that is no longer a living, breathing, caring and the personality has left the body. That leaves object. So we aren’t looking for a person, we are looking for an object.

That object needs to be found, treated with respect and returned to family members.
We can’t get personal with recoveries. We need to focus on the task at hand and not focus on the object that once was a person.

One of the hardest recoveries we had was a few years ago. It involved a college student who fell out of a canoe.

While we searched the family had 3’ X 3’ photographs of the kid plastered everywhere. They were even wondering around the perimeter actually sticking the photos right in front of us as we walked into and out of the area. To top it off they were like a group of protesters with their crying and yelling at us to find their son, brother, cousin.

The department chaplain asked me if I wanted them removed. I did but I told the chaplain to just work with them and we would work around their actions. They needed the release and we just needed to block it out. I think it would have been devastating for them if we would have removed them from the area.

The kid, I’m very sorry he died at such a young age. But my safety buffer was activated. I could not give you a description of him and don’t remember his name. I could have and I did know his name at one point but I have let it go.

To friends and family he was still their friend and family member. For us it was a different story, we were looking for a very precious object that needed to be returned.

I hope this doesn’t sound cruel and inhuman but to keep sane that is what we need to do. We lose a lot of members who can’t let go even with professional help. Some will never return to diving.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom