The state of the diving tourism industry in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well its very nice of you to be thinking of me Peter :amazed: LOL but you are sadly mistaken in this case because it is not me.

I would not hide behind fake identities why would I ?anyone that knows me, knows that if I have something to say, you can be very sure I am the type of person that has NO PROBLEM saying it to your face and would certainly not hide behind a fake username LOL.

HOWEVER you have mentioned my name in the same paragraph as PADI expulsion and Instructor Breach of Standards and you have clearly associated me with that case and I dont want readers to get the wrong idea and assume I have anything to do with it so I would like to clarify to anyone reading this, I not only don't i know what case Peter is referring to, but I have nothing to do with any Instructor or Dive Shop that has been expelled by PADI and any person that associates me or links me to a case like that is clearly mistaken.

Gaz Cooper

Last edited:
No Gaz, AFAIK you have absolutely no connection with this dive centre or instructor, or indeed with any bad diving practices anywhere. Your name was mentioned in complete error.

Gaz, where have you been? Last we heard, you were recuperating from a m/c accident in Asia.

Gaz, where have you been? Last we heard, you were recuperating from a m/c accident in Asia.

Hey Downing

Yeah it was quite a serious accident with a lot of damage to my leg, I'm all recovered now, I do need another operation on my knee but after so long not really being mobile I really don't want to do that right now so will live with it until I decide to get it sorted. I guess I will be walking with a limp the rest of my days but at least I have my leg LOL

I'm fit for travel so be heading to Belize very very soon :) when are you in Placencia, I'm hoping to get down there too so if it coincides with your trip I'll buy you a beer :)

Gaz

I can sympathize. I'm grateful just to be walking after two operations on my left knee.

I'll be in Placencia for three weeks beginning June 1st. The easiest way to find me would be through Ralph or Patty at Splash Dive Center. And I plan to visit Hank in Mullens River for a day or two and explore more of the Toledo District somewhere in there.

Be sure to look me up if you make it down that way. Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

Can anyone name some "good" dive operators on AC? I am heading to Belize with my husband and two of our friends in a few weeks, and we are all pretty novice divers. We're focused on having safe, conservative dives, and I want a dive shop that will understand us and not push us to dive deeper or do other things we are not comfortable with.

Edit: We are leaning toward Chuck and Robbies but are open to suggestions.

Can anyone name some "good" dive operators on AC? I am heading to Belize with my husband and two of our friends in a few weeks, and we are all pretty novice divers. We're focused on having safe, conservative dives, and I want a dive shop that will understand us and not push us to dive deeper or do other things we are not comfortable with.

Edit: We are leaning toward Chuck and Robbies but are open to suggestions.

You can have a safe dive with almost any operator as long as you pay attention and do not trust the DM to be your computer. By that I mean buddy up, everyone should have a working computer which they know how to use and everyone pays attention to their own profile. Everyone must pay attention to their own air. Watch for 1000psi and start thinking about heading up when you get there. Most AC operators that I have used tend to want to know when you get to 700. The visibility is usually excellent and it is easy to stay above the other divers if you start up a little early. Remember you use a lot less air at 20ft than at 70. If tunnels are mentioned in the dive briefing, ask is swimming above the crack and following bubbles is an option if you are not comfortable with overhead environments.

The above ought to be a given, but it seems that many vacation divers and newly certified divers just follow along with the DM. I think many DMs think they might get a better tip if they take you on a more radical dive. If they go deeper than you like, stay above. 20 feet makes a big difference in profiles when you are in the 70ft range. Most places, you will see the same stuff at 70 as the people who are at 90-100ft. Don't be tempted to drop down and follow someone to 115ft. Be especially vigilant of NDC time on the second dive of the day. Do not be afraid to start a slow ascent if you start running close to the limits. Do at least 3 minute safety stops on ALL dives. Fulfill any deco obligation that your computer wants.

I have heard good things about Chuck and Robbies, but I have not seen them in operation myself. A good friend who owns a resort in AC says they are one of two besides her in house operation whom she would recomend.

Thanks for your input. We are definitely bringing computers of our own (well, sort of "ours"-- rented from the local dive shop here before we leave that we always use to rent gear from) and each have our own built in diving buddy (we are a pair of husband/wife combos where each spouse dives).

I have a very good idea of what I am and am not comfortable with, and intend on relaying that to whoever our DM is and then sticking to it. It is good to know the viz is usually good enough to stay within site if we stay above.

The problem I have with the situation down there really relates to the attempt to be high service and provide fully guided diving. Tourists misinterpret the high degree of service as a substitute for personal responsibilty. The operators seem to do and say little to dispute this. In fact, there seems to be an insistance in all dives being guided. The reality is that once certified, you are always responsible for yourself when diving. Just don't allow yourself to be lulled into a false sense of security. be safe and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom