The stiffer the fin the better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lampy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am debating whether to go with the Atomic aquatic split fins or the Atomic aquatic "Smoke on the Water".

I have been told the "Smoke on the Water" model is stiffer than the other regular version.

I have reasonably strong legs, so does that mean a stiffer fin would be better for me?

I take a large size fin which should fit me with both neoprene and dry suit boots.

I have heard that Jet fins scale with strength of leg and that they are very stiff, so I am currently thinking that the "Smoke on the Water" splits would suit me better.

Am am very much a newbie and have yet to learn proper kicking styles. I have experimented a bit with the frog but largely rely on a nice simple flutter.

Only thing that makes the normal split fins appeal to me above the "Smoke on the Water" is that the come in the always awesome Lime Green.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I should think that your main concern would be the performance capabilities of the fins, not their color. Split fins will be less effective for anti-silting kicks, helicopter turns, etc. Straight-line speed is a less critical feature than the ability to perform a variety of kicks.

as with everything, it all depends on who is wearing them. Its impossible to say if stiffer is better for you or not. I have seen people that swear their legs are big enough for very stiff fins that do better in very flexible, I have also seen the other way around, and of course I have seen tons of divers that actually use the fins they are best in.

In scuba, the rubber meets the road when you find what is most comfortable for you and suits your style of diving best. There are lots of recommendations on what has worked for other people, but its hard to predict what will be better for you. Which is why I would ignore the previous post, you have already made the decision that you want splits and they will be good for you, its your call

My personal take, for most people the standard lines are best, afterall, they were "designed" for the average person. The Pro level fins are for really strong swimmers (think competitive swimmers) that not only have the leg strength, but the technique that 95% of scuba divers don't have.
But after using these splits, it really doesn't matter, you need a very high kick frequency with both of them for them to go. I would advise you get the Bio-Fin XT though, my pair of the Atomics (and 3 others that I know of) had those stupid panels in the fin crack and fall out after a little more than a year, the Bio-Fin uses an all rubber blade that seems much more durable.

If you want fins that will make you fast and less fatigued at the same time, then you want a good pair of freediving fins--not Rockets, and absolutley NOT splits ( which are pathetic).
An ideal choice is the Cressi Gara 3000 or better still, a pair of Specialfins like this one -- specialfins.com ( far better than what you find in most scuba stores).
Why have you not heard anything from dive instructors or dive stores about the high end freedvie fins? The biggest issue, is that they can not afford to stock high end freedive fins , particulalry as they need to be stocked by shoe size like running shoes--they are the opposite of the dive store friendly One size Fits All nonsense. The other, is that it is harder to walk in a boat with freedive fins on, and most instructors have enough trouble with never-evers in tiny split fins falling over themselves--the idea of freediving fins on these same people is terrifying!
If you add in the lack of bouyancy instruction and bouyancy training---and have a bunch of students weighted in a manner that has them swimming head up and feet down, the instructor responsible for this might be concerned about the extra damage potential to a coral reef, if the fins were twice as long.....I am not saying this is intelligent thinking, I am just saying this type of "thinking" and behavior is typical in Florida and many dive tourism hotspots.

If you try a good pair of Freedive fins, and use them for 2 or 3 dives, I doubt you would ever consider splits or rockets again...unless you get in to cave diving, where Jetfins are the best tool for the job.

Regards,
Dan Volker

You should try them both and see, and some other non-split ones to compare

Speed is not a concern, efficiency is ... It's how the fins feel to you while doing the proper kick for that design
.. split fins are not faster, they are more efficient at straight line propulsion, that could mean speed, but it can also mean less energy expended for a given speed as well ... backing up and turning? not as efficient as other types but can be done

It is not necessary to be a jock or a competitive swimmer to use a stiff, blade fin - I am almost 65 and have bird legs and do just fine with Slipstreams.

Thanks for the posts. Unfortunately my LDS doesn't give equipment to test and I know no other divers with the fins I am looking for. I can budget for two pairs of fins if I must as thanks to eBay my BCD & Regs cost about £300 less than I anticipated.

At the moment I think I will either go for the "Smoke on the Water" or the Bio-Fins and then maybe get a new pair in the spring when the dry suit comes off.

A few more posts dedicated to the actual question of stiffness being better would be appreciated - I would rather not start another debate on splits vs. paddles.

Thanks very much all - looking forward to more feedback.

Too bad you can not try each one and choose the one that you like

Your going to like the spring straps that come on them if you get the Atomics, I have the Liquid Blue model and they are very easy kickers, can propel myself with just ankle movement , I also converted them to springs, easier to done/doff

I have a very stiff pair of Mares fins, a no-longer-sold predecessor of the Avanti. My wife has Mares Volo Race full foot fins that are incredibly floppy. So floppy, it is very strange to watch them curve up and down as she swims and hard to understand how she gets any propulsion out of them. I'd have bet they would have been close to useless. Nevertheless, my wife and I match speeds very closely when swimming slowly, jut poking around. At faster speeds, however, my wife seems to use a lot less effort than I do, while going just as fast. Get opinions, read the published test results, but in the end, it all comes down to one thing--did you get the fins you want to wear?

Stiff fins are old hat, basically obsolete. The Bio Fin XT is stiff by split fin standards but is nowhere near that of some of the stuff that was popular years ago. Also, it can be ordered with springs although rubber straps are probably just as good. On the other hand, the light and flexible slipper fin, the Mares Superchannel, will outperform any of the splits and probably all the vaunted "freediving" fins. No springs, no straps, much cheaper, and by actual test is 0.2 mph faster on the straight than the XT which notably is the fastest split and fastest OH fin of any type ever tested by Scubalab. The Superchannel was so much faster than the Variant freediving fin it was not even in question. Can't say if you could find any to fit, though. Some things you will have to do yourself.

Folks say that small increments in speed are irrelevant. However, after an hour of swimming, say struggling towards the beach, a diver who is just 0.1 mph faster will be 500 feet closer to the sand than the other guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom