The straw that broke the divers back.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...There's a reason why so many people at 2,000 dives feel like they know less than they felt like they knew at 200 dives ...
Ah yes... the same is true for 2000 flight hours vs 200.
I get more freaked out just thinking about some of the stuff I got away with at 200 dives (and 200 hrs) than I ever did when I was doin' it!
:D
Rick

You mean, prior to reading this thread. :cool2:

"Hyperventilation and panic stress reactions are more likely to occur in the physically unfit. "

From "Medical Fitness for Diving" by Lawrence Martin, M.D. Copyright 1997. Numerous studies are cited at the bottom of the page.

Link HERE

Lulu has already responded to this far more eloquently than I would have, but in the interests of giving the good doctor the benefit of the doubt I have spent the afternoon reading up on the subject. I believe that Dr Martin is a lung doctor and this quote may apply in the context of divers in physically demanding situations. It's not just big or unfit divers who get themselves into such situations.

Interestingly enough, I found several articles relating to physically fit people experiencing panic during workouts. Either hormones get out of whack or the elevated heart rate causes panic-like symptoms which can become the real thing. Being super fit may be more hazardous than not being fit at all!

For anyone interested in what may cause panic in divers please read;
DAN Divers Alert Network : Anxiety: Is It A Contraindication to Diving?
DAN Divers Alert Network : Psychological Issues in Diving II - Anxiety, Phobias in Diving
The former does say that thyroid problems result in a higher risk of panic and some larger people do suffer from thyroid problems. That's about as close as I got to supporting the proposed hypothesis.

How many people have died because they didn't have a buddy to help them?

When the ocean decides to take you it will and there are so many ways that it can be done.

That's a rather gloomy and fatalistic attitude.

The vast majority of scuba diving fatalities are preventable, it has nothing to do with "when the ocean decides". At least, I've never seen that particular reason listed in any chart or graph.

I've risked my life numerous times for people I've never met, sometimes for empty buildings...Not the brightest bulb on the bush I admit. But I have survived.

Its ok to not go it you think the risk is too high. But I won't ever decide a priori that I won't give it a try.

The vast majority of scuba diving fatalities are preventable,

ALL Scuba fatalities are preventable. Don't strap on the gear and get in the water and you won't become a scuba fatality.

it has nothing to do with "when the ocean decides".

Once again you show your inexperience and lack of understanding. Seriously. Of everything you have said, much of which I find objectionable, this one statement tops them all. Let me be plain:

You are suffering a dangerous delusion if you think that you won't get hurt or killed because you are doing everything correctly, and all your gear is new and well-maintained, and you are in better shape than Michael Phelps.

YES, YOU WILL DIE simply because "the ocean decides"

To think otherwise is beyond my comprehension. Really, I mean that.

At least, I've never seen that particular reason listed in any chart or graph.

That is your problem. A chart can't express what it's like to have a 4ft wave take you be surprise, or what it's like when the tide shifts an hour early, and you go from 40 to 0 viz. A movie can't make your decision for you when your reg locks up. A graph won't prepare you when a 7ft bull wants that snapper you just shot. That book makes a poor flashlight on a night dive when your primary goes down. And 6-pack abs won't help you either!

If you really believe that divers don't get killed doing everything right, then you are dangerous to yourself. I pray that you humble yourself and seek to retake your basic instruction before your next dive.

Almost 10% of the deaths from 2006 (according to DAN) were solo divers.

DAN 2008 Report:
Only six of the fatal dives were intended as solo dives. Most dives started with a buddy or
with more divers in a team, but the buddy system was not maintained in many instances.

That's a rather gloomy and fatalistic attitude.

The vast majority of scuba diving fatalities are preventable, it has nothing to do with "when the ocean decides". At least, I've never seen that particular reason listed in any chart or graph.

Hmmm ... coupla things that those who dive in the ocean depend on ... weather predictions and current predictions.

There's a reason they call 'em "predictions".

I've been diving many times when either the weather or the current didn't do what the "charts" said it was supposed to do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom