Info The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selytch, that may be but both tests were listed as "pool tests" which wouldn't account for the difference, assuming BB1 was in a fresh water pool and not doing a "pool test" in an ocean somewhere. (I don't know.)

My point was that while generally people are close to neutrally buoyant, it's highly variant depending upon an individual's body. I am definitely negatively buoyant, while my daughter is neutral (or very close), and her mother is slightly positive.

Hi,
Great Job but you should be careful. If you have not been diving with a wing or back mount BCD before you will find that a diver who completely relaxes in the water will go face down when they have their “wing” inflated on the surface. When all the buoyancy is behind you it will push you in the opposite direction from that buoyancy. Old Horse Collar BCD’s always pushed you face up in the water, hence a back inflator will push you face down in the water. The diver must make a conscious effort to arch their back to keep themselves upright on the surface when wearing a back mounted BCD. A Jacket Style BCD will give you a face up attitude in the water more like an older horse collar would. If you are thinking of purchasing a wing style BCD I highly recommended you try one in a pool before you purchase to see how it works for you. Leisure Pro has a complete line of BCD in all styles. I recoomended you vist the website and check it out Leisurepro.com. Any questions and you can contact me

Leisure Proski

Hi,
Great Job but you should be careful. If you have not been diving with a wing or back mount BCD before you will find that a diver who completely relaxes in the water will go face down when they have their “wing” inflated on the surface. When all the buoyancy is behind you it will push you in the opposite direction from that buoyancy. Old Horse Collar BCD’s always pushed you face up in the water, hence a back inflator will push you face down in the water. The diver must make a conscious effort to arch their back to keep themselves upright on the surface when wearing a back mounted BCD. A Jacket Style BCD will give you a face up attitude in the water more like an older horse collar would. If you are thinking of purchasing a wing style BCD I highly recommended you try one in a pool before you purchase to see how it works for you. Leisure Pro has a complete line of BCD in all styles. I recoomended you vist the website and check it out Leisurepro.com. Any questions and you can contact me

Leisure Proski

OH BOY....This will be good.....:popcorn:

Nice shameless plug if I have ever seen one, not to mention the incredibly accurate and ever so helpful suggestion.

Where is a rat trap when you need one? :D

Weighting from spreadsheet is exactly what I use when diving a 7mm wetsuit after adjusting for my tank and BP weights.

I'm new to drysuit diving (just did the cert dives) so I don't understand "To be safe, add A+B and use this number as required wing lift." in post #64. The calculated weighting was exactly what I used with a Fusion suit, but the "safe" wing buoyance would be 45lbs, much more than my Halcyon 26lb wing. I'd like to understand that calculation better. Thanks.

Update: Never mind, I figured it out. Seems obvious now, but the reason for adding A (minimum wing vol) to B (lead needed) is the assumption that none of the weight can be dropped, requiring the wing lift to support all the weight. But in my case I keep at least 10lbs on a weight belt which can be dropped, so that amount of lead could be deducted from the required lift.

Last edited:
Gary "Insta-Gator" Shull has made few suggestions and modified spreadsheet. Below are the changes. For some reason I cannot edit my original post, mods can you help?

Quote from Gary:
---------
J17 and K17 to clearly indicate to the user if they will have positive or negative buoyancy and how much.
J18 and K18 to indicate the volume of air needed for neutral buoyancy displacement. It may be useful information if the divers happen to know the total volume of their wing.
I21 and I22 are simply cosmetic.
I added a second input area beginning at O26. The total in cell O31 is transferred to cell D29 to be used in the calculations.
Some of the wording in the original input area is changed to keep me clear as to what information I am working with.
Since “Other” is in the new input area, I change the old “Other” to “Camera / Housing” since we seem to have a lot of photographers on the board.
I added cell D34 in conjunction with cells D39 thru L39. The more I tried to apply the worksheet to my style of diving it occurred to me that I never suck a tank dry, so I thought a consumption percentage might be helpful and alter the “end of dive” buoyancy for the tank, to be entered in cell D27.
I also removed the verbiage referencing the original example.

Feel free to use all, some or none of these changes in subsequent updates to the worksheet, if any. My intent was to help me as a ‘tropical’, non-BP/W diver (for now) understand where to focus my purchasing research.
-----

Your suggestions and questions are alway welcome, I learn as much myself as you do!

Attachments

• AL BPW Buoyancy worksheet.xls
    66.5 KB · Views: 652
Weighting from spreadsheet is exactly what I use when diving a 7mm wetsuit after adjusting for my tank and BP weights.

I'm new to drysuit diving (just did the cert dives) so I don't understand "To be safe, add A+B and use this number as required wing lift." in post #64. The calculated weighting was exactly what I used with a Fusion suit, but the "safe" wing buoyance would be 45lbs, much more than my Halcyon 26lb wing. I'd like to understand that calculation better. Thanks.

Update: Never mind, I figured it out. Seems obvious now, but the reason for adding A (minimum wing vol) to B (lead needed) is the assumption that none of the weight can be dropped, requiring the wing lift to support all the weight. But in my case I keep at least 10lbs on a weight belt which can be dropped, so that amount of lead could be deducted from the required lift.

As you figured out, it's true for weight integrated BC.

I actually use setup similar to yours, with both ditch-able weight and integrated. It took some practice to figure out the right proportion though...

Diving huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom