Info The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I searched the thread and couldn't find an answer to this...

where is the negative buoyancy of the regulator factored in on this spreadsheet?

for a trilam suit with 300 gram insulation how much should I figure for my suit bouyancy without going down to the pool? How full of air should I make my suit for testing this, I would guess that I would empty my suit of as much air as I can?

Last edited:
It's little more complicated for dry suits.
The dry suit should not be used for flotation, hence its buoyancy should be 0 (worst case flooded suit).
On the other hand the suit is positive on the surface, undergarment/inflated air.
So:
A. To calculate min needed wing volume I put 0 and 0 in suit (surface/compressed at depth) (see C).
B. To calculate amount of lead needed I put 12-16# for surface and 0 for compressed at depth.
C. To be safe, add A+B and use this number as required wing lift.

Make sure to try the gear out in confined water first!

Hi,

This is an awesome calculator to give me a rough starting weight for BP/W setup however I don't use a dry suit as its never cold enough here.

Would you or anyone have any buoyancy figures for 3mm (normal) and 5mm (mid winter) wetsuits?

The calculator seems to suggest I need a lot less weight. In a 3mm with a jacket BCD and AL80 I needed 18#'s in sea water but the calculator reckons 2.4#'s?? I know I am a big fella - 6'4" and 240lb's so need more lead but I am trying to work out how I enter or use that info with the calculator?

Any help appreciatted and big thanks for writing the calc - it helped me to understand the relationship between wing and weight better.

I realise the figures will vary depending on the suit manufacturer and age etc but it would give a good start.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the feedback!
I guess I can add "non compressible" weight field, which for now can be added to the wetsuit field, same value for surface and depth.

I assumed that average human body is neutrally buoyant. But you are right, this may not always be the case. I'll try to find some data to integrate into the spreadsheet.

I'd gues that the human body is neutral as well.

Pool test just in boardies:
Full breathe = Head above water
Half breathe = eye level at water level
All breathe out = sink

I'm assuming that the XXL or XXXL (mostly height honest!) wetsuit accounts for a large proportion of the 18# lead and the Calypso Jacket BCD = most of the rest!

I'd gues that the human body is neutral as well.

Pool test just in boardies:
Full breathe = Head above water
Half breathe = eye level at water level
All breathe out = sink

I'm assuming that the XXL or XXXL (mostly height honest!) wetsuit accounts for a large proportion of the 18# lead and the Calypso Jacket BCD = most of the rest!

By contrast, my pool test in a 2.5mm long sleeve shorty
Full breathe = sinking slowly
half breathe = sinking faster
all breath out = sink disturbingly fast

I'm 6'1 and weigh approx 165-170 pounds.

Fresh water (1.000) is less dense than seawater (1.028). Human body density is closer to seawater. I guess 3% difference is 5#, which accounts for your observation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom