The United States of America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

now-now! :no I was mentioning ALL the Allies, not only those on that very short list above....of course the boys/girls from down under deserve Kudos as well!

Walter:
On the bright side, it didn't get political for over two years.
But the seed was there from the first post! :wink:

We'd certainly be living in a very different world but for the actions and bravery of all who took part that day....and the many days before leading up to it....and the days after.

It's good to be grateful and remember what happened.

There were lots of brave folks from lots of different countries fighting, risking their lives and in all too many cases dying for their countries.

almitywife:
how typical... the french rate a mention but not the aussies...... :stir:

off to phone our PM... i think by memory we are one of the few nations in iraq with you guys, im sure the french will take our place when i ask to have our boys and girls sent home :wink:

El & Peter... extraordinary visit... i hope to be as blessed one day to walk those lands and be able to give my thanks
Kudos to the Aussies too :D To keep the peace :wink:

HMMM Aussise have a weird sense of humor . . .

Anywho :wink:

As a former member of the A battery 2/110TH FA BN 29th Div And having the distinction of the guns of our Battalion firing the first land based artillery on D-Day, Thank you to all who have done what I can not think of ever attempting.

Anyway, I was surprised to learn that the Aussies were even at the subject of the thread - Normandy region of France, but it seems they were indeed. From: Australia in World War Two
Australian participation was relatively small. Of the many tens of thousands of Allied troops, airmen and sailors, Australia contributed between 2500 and 3000 men as part of the D-Day operations, including the battles in the weeks immediately following 6 June. Although relatively small, this commitment was significant nevertheless. Fighting far from their homeland, these Australians demonstrated through conviction and courage in battle that Australia, although contending with an enemy close to home, remained committed to the common cause of liberating enemy-occupied Europe and defeating Nazi Germany.

It was most certainly a war of significant world wide importance, and the Australian people were most certainly instrumental in Allied efforts, battles, and the big war - in the battlefield, and at home at many levels.

I really do not believe anyone would actually get insulted and upset that they were not mentioned earlier - some of us just state ourselves differently.

i am NOT insulted or upset nor did i intend to insult or offend... geez, maybe its an aussie thing to take the pssss out of every subject

our thing down here is Anzac Day on April 25th.

hundreds of thousands of people line the streets for dawn service and a march. each year its getting bigger and bigger and the those watching are getting younger! im glad to see that the emotiion & support of thanks is being taught to our younger folk

DandyDon:
Anyway, I was surprised to learn that the Aussies were even at the subject of the thread - Normandy region of France, but it seems they were indeed. From: Australia in World War Two
Don - there were 5 beaches assaulted on D-Day. The Americans assaulted two of them - Omaha & Utah. The others - Sword, Gold, and Juno - were assaulted by others.
As the OP says in the first post that he visited 'the beaches of Normandy' but then actually only mentions the Americans it's kind of natural that some might feel a tad left out.:wink:
Heck - you said yourself that even YOU didn't know the Aussies were there before today - and you were a Marine weren't you? :eyebrow:

Let's just thank EVERYONE because they sure as hell ALL deserve it!

Kim:
Let's just thank EVERYONE because they sure as hell ALL deserve it!
Yep, I agree. There's really some good reading in that link I gave there. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom