The weirdest things I ever ate were...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3dent:
My wife's a Pediatric RN, and she say's it's not uncommon at all for hospitals to give charcoal to kids who've ingested a poison. On a side note, they also have a stock of sterile leaches that (I believe) are sometimes used to keep a wound clean.

Which brings another question.. How do you sterilize a leach??

nativenarcosis:
Which brings another question.. How do you sterilize a leach??
Either dip it in a sterlizing solution or do just heat it up with flame - should burn off the impurities. :wink:

simbrooks:
Either dip it in a sterlizing solution or do just heat it up with flame - should burn off the impurities. :wink:

or both....... marinade it and BBQ it.

Guess that's leech, not leach. Sorry.

I would guess that their sterilized with an itty bitty pair of scissors...

Sorry again. I couldn't resist.

3dent:
Guess that's leech, not leach. Sorry.

I would guess that their sterilized with an itty bitty pair of scissors...

Sorry again. I couldn't resist.
I knew the HMO's were trying to cut back on hospital costs and maximising their profits, but i didnt think they went back to turn of the century medicine of using leachs!! :wink:

When I was in Vietnam a national that I worked with invited us to his home. His wife served us sea horses that were pretty good.

I also love limburger cheese. Nature gives a smell to certain things as a warning to stay away from it. You must train your mind to ignore this protective signal and then you can eat the finest cheese in the world.

Not me.. but I saw a close family member eat live African Cave Dwelling spiders on the show Fear Factor.. yuch.. they looked like a scorpion/spider cross... u g l y!!

Muk-tuk
Whale blubber to most of us, this is a greasy lump of…grease, with an inedible hunk of skin attached. Interminable chewing, dribbling goo down your chin, it tastes like a lump of rancid candle. I hear some folks really go for this, but I think it’s more likely that muk-tuk is the Inuit word for “gotcha.”

Haggis
I think this dish is kept alive by the English just so that they won’t have to feel bad about how awful their food is. I’ve got Scots ancestors and I understand why they emigrated – how many people have fallen asleep eating this dish and asphyxiated when they fell face first into the mushy pile?

Palmetto bugs
If you can get past the idea that you’re eating deepfried cockroach, they have a rather pleasant, nutty taste. Once was enough, however.

Rocky mountain oysters
I’m not so fond of the sheep stones, but I’ll eat a plate full cattle noogies if they’re butterflied, breaded and pan fried.

Kim chee
The only thing wrong with this stuff is that they dig it up after burying it. Next time, I’ll use it instead of wasabi to hide the taste of…

Raw sea urchin
You can’t put enough wasabi on this to make it edible. It's got the consistency of baby puke and doesn't look as good.

At the risk of being labelled xenophobic and/or ethnocentric (both of which I have been called)

There is a reason that certain countries are 3rd rate powers;
they eat bugs, scorpions, spiders, monkey brains, etc.

As a proud Scotsman, even the Haggis is not something to be eaten.

G_M

reefraff:
Kim chee
The only thing wrong with this stuff is that they dig it up after burying it. Next time, I’ll use it instead of wasabi to hide the taste of…

???? what is it before they bury it????

reefraff:
Raw sea urchin
You can’t put enough wasabi on this to make it edible. It's got the consistency of baby puke and doesn't look as good

Sea urchin in the words of Rowan Atkinson "is a personal favorite of mine" ..... As a kid we used to go down the beach for a feed of "Kina" (Maori word for sea urchin). You only eat the yellow bits, and when they are fat and creamy, they have a nutty oyster type flavor. It has to be fresh from the rock pool for me, I dont think I would trust it in a resturaunt.

Back
Top Bottom