"The Wetter The Better" save lionfish from death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onespeed: Do you intend to pay me in cash ... or an IOU for lionfish carcusses ...

To mirror what ONESPEED already did a good job of posting.

I have only sen ONE lionfish so far but could have easily speared it with a chopstick. It stayed right there poisioness spines out daring me to come closer and did not make any move to elude me.

I have read everything I can find on Lionfish including the post referecenced and only found .. "they will elude divers."

With an actual 60" speargun it is hard to hit small fish and with the power of a three bander the spearman is going to ruin his slip tip if not bend the shaft. With a POLE spear though and a paralyzer tip this is not going to happen.

The very next time I see a Lionfish it is dead. I have not had a single email reponse from Reef dot org and assume they have done NOTHING about the LionFish report I made in Jupiter. If everything works in my favor I will be diving in Jupiter again this weekend and hope to see the Lionfish unless someone else has already speared the invader.

Sounds like the divemaster made a good call when he saw a couple of divers poking a lion fish with their face a few foot away.

Lionfish in Bahamas - Blackbeard's Cruises Research

Few know the red lionfish (Pterois volitans) as well as Lev Fishelson does. For more than 40 years, this marine biologist at Tel Aviv University in Israel has studied the species in the Red Sea, the westernmost portion of its native range. What have always struck him about the fish are its grace and "fearlessness."
Unlike most reef denizens, red lionfish will approach divers rather than veer away. Fishelson warns that the animal will sometimes launch itself into a person. If the needlelike tip of a spine breaks the diver's skin, he or she will experience intense pain and swelling at the wound site and usually end up in the hospital,

No telling where a lionfish would hit if it launched itself.

A pole spear sounds a lot better way to deal with them than poking them with a knife

BTW....

lionfish_fishing_flyer.jpg

great poster Chip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim:

I like the "Morbid Mondays" idea, but I also saw they also have "T-back Thursdays" advertised as 1/2 off for WOMEN in t-backs. Please don't think they'll let you dive for
half price if you show up in a Hello Kitty bikini. :)

When do you want to go kill some lion fish?????

Doug

<snicker>

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've resized the poster
lionfish_fishing_flyer.jpg
so it doesn't completely overwhelm folks' displays. The full size poster (if you want it) can be found here.

Thanks for letting us know what you have done Rick! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom