The whole "dive your computer" scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to go diving - period! (must wait until the end of November and again in January)

When I see the comment, "dive your air" or "dive your computer" I think of no set time limit. VS. operators who have set time limits and expect you to be back on the boat after 40 minutes regardless of gas or no deco time.
+1

The op I use these days does not set any time limits. But I have had an op in the past purposely take the group pretty deep on both dives so they were very short. It wasn't their norm, so we were a bit confused at first .... the light came on as we were speeding back to the pier full throttle .... Mexico was playing in a really big soccer game that day and it started at 1:00. All the guys were in a hurry so they wouldn't miss any of it. Really couldn't blame them! :)

Ok..Some of this also depends on the dive site too. Many sites don't work well for multi level diving. Also you do have the drift and depending on the current, you can drift the entire site and even with time remaining, the fact you are past the reef with just deep sand below you with little to see.

So, IMHO there are a number of factors on when to end the dive, and the computer and your NDL limit is just one factor. Air is another. Location and overall time is a 3rd.

I wouldn't advocate going into deco just because you have air remaining.

I wouldn't advocate going into deco just because you have air remaining.
I go into deco alot. I did not do that until I had done deco courses. Just riding the computer because it will take you out of deco is dangerous to say the least.

The only reference to "diving your computer" that I've ever heard by a Cozumel DM is basically a statement that each diver is responsible for his/her own dive profile and N2 loading as displayed on a person's own computer. The other option, for those on the boat with no computer, is to dive the DM's profile, never getting deeper than him. It's not the ideal option for deep repetitive diving IMO....but that's not the point to this thread. I've never heard a DM say anything like "you must surface when your computer says to" and I've never been on a dive in Cozumel that would result in that, anyway. Because all the profiles (well, all the dives I've done) are multi level, anyone with a slight deco obligation is going to clear it well before reaching the ceiling.

So I guess I'm still not clear on what it is that MMM is referring to. I do understand there are some ops that will limit time regardless of air, but the ones I've been with have always limited the dive time by gas remaining. What am I missing?

In a place like Cozumel with a deep wall it is absolutely possible for a decent diver to run out of decompression time way before you run out of air if you don't think about your depth/time enough or go to sites like Maracabo or Punta Sur where the 'shallows' are still relatively deep.

Fast boats with 8 divers or less (preferably 6 or less) is the best way to maximize your bottom time in Cozumel or anywhere else. Due to the currents and the fact that most 'cattle boat' operations must cater to the biggest air hog in the group means you will end up coming up with lots of air remaining and lots of no decompression time remaining. Go with a smaller group, use nitrox when/where it makes sense, think about your depth vs. time, and diving your computer and air can come closer to meaning the same thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom