The wild woman of Borneo (new in the Midwest)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueGirlGoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, Glad to be here. I certified last month (in Destin, FL) so that I could take an assignment in Borneo that included diving. So I was lucky enough to start out on Sipadan, then dive Kapalai, Mabul, and Lankayan.

Now I'm hooked, and looking forward to diving again asap. My husband got his certification last week, so I've even got a buddy! I keep kicking myself for not doing this 15 years ago. Why did I wait? Looking forward to learning a lot here.

BGG,

Welcome to the board! Wow, you've dove places that most of us only dream about doing. Please post some trip reports so that we can live vicariously thru you!

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, Detroit. It was incredible, although Sipadan was rough. I'd had no troubles with buoyancy control on my cert dives, where I wore 16 lbs. of weight and an old wetsuit. At Sipadan the dive master looked at me and insisted I wouldn't need more than 8, with a brand new 3mm suit. Like an obedient dummy I listened to him.

Dive number one: lots of sea turtles as I tried desperately not to pop up like a cork. Dive 2: an incredible wall dive and me, crashing into coral and being shunned as a newbie. At the end of the day another diver took pity on me and spent about an hour until we figured out that my BC inflator valve was sticking, which meant I couldn't adjust properly. A different BC et voila! Instant buoyancy control!

The amount of marine life and coral were just unbelievable. The resorts were great and the Malaysians incredibly hospitable. I was there at the height of the SARS panic but no problems. I'd go back in a moment, on my own dime. More later, I'll pull out my log book. There are some wonderful pictures --not mine-- at http://dive-malaysia.com/

Welcome to the boards and the sport of scuba!

I hope you post some trips reports as you go. It would be awesome to hear how the diving is there.

Wow, what a great way to start out your diving experience! Now, where to dive for an encore?

Have fun and stay wet.

Hey BlueGirl

Welcome to the boards. Sounds like you have dun some great diving. I am from Warrensburg Missouri just got my cert this past Spring, looking forward to that next dive.

Thanks for the welcome, JC. I'm looking at cheap packages to Cozumel right this very minute. Not much diving (that I'm interested in) in the Midwest, although Bonne Terre Mines is supposed to be cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom