The worst thing you have ever heard or seen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was an Aeris Manta. Not terribly conservative.
And I really think teaching a new diver that it's OK to ignore NDLs and go into even light deco is a terrible precedent.

Perhaps you missed my all caps preface.

Not really a worst, but a funniest. Buddying with newbie father & 15 yr. old daughter instabuddies on a shore dive, the daughter had the reg. on backwards, saying she can't get Air to work. Not backwards in that the console was on the right and 2nd stage on left. Backwards so the male/female parts of reg. and tank weren't facing each other. Funniest thing is an instructor told me he'd seen that before....

steel 72 scuba tanks began raining down around us.The NAUI divers swam down wearing horsecollar BCD's and donned the tanks by kneeling on the bottom.

I don't understand why they'd throw a whole bunch of tanks over the side of a boat and how the divers could possibly put them on and rig them with regulators at depth.

Makes no sense.

The tanks had packs and regs. If you were going to don gear in a drill around coral the DM's or instructors should have taken them underwater and found spots with no coral for students to don the gear.

The tanks had packs and regs. If you were going to don gear in a drill around coral the DM's or instructors should have taken them underwater and found spots with no coral for students to don the gear.

I'm not saying what they did was appropriate; I'm merely surmising that they did it as a part of a drill, and didn't drop tanks by accident.

I don't think anyone was a student though. The group was from Fred Calhoun's Gloucester, Massachusetts crew of the Easy Diver. I think it was just for their own practice. I've known Fred for years. He's quite a character. That was just not the place for it. Hammerhead was one of the better reefs when I lived and worked in the Keys.

I don't think anyone was a student though. The group was from Fred Calhoun's Easy Diver. I think it was just for their own practice.

That's what I meant - they wanted to practice their skills. Considering that there were divers (and coral) directly below, this is probably one of the most egregious cases in this thread so far.

Perhaps you missed my all caps preface.

Or perhaps I'm just disagreeing with the notion that it's remotely understandable why an instructor would do this to a student.

Back
Top Bottom