theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently had 2 regulators and 3 tanks stolen. I was considering some method to mark my stuff so any idiot can see who it belongs to. Any ideas in this? For my tanks I was thinking some type of tank wrap but how about for the reg's?

Ed

blacknet

Sorry about your loss, certainly seeing more of these types of threads recently...which is unfortunate.

As far as a method of marking gear, I have been using an electrical engraver. Everything from tanks to bp to speargun has gotten engraved in a discreet area. Fins, spools, computers permanent marker.

Best Regards
Don

...but it's permanent.. If you get one of those little craftsman hand engraver things, you can engrave (looks more like a scratch at high speed) your name into the reg. Easy to spot, but it's there forever.

You can always go the colored hose wrap route if you just want to make it visible. I've seen at least 2 kinds, one is the braided protector stuff you have to fish the hoses through (pain to put on), the other you can wrap around the hoses. Both look kinda crappy, but it's not something you see very often (at least in Austin).

Your other option could be colored hoses. Trident makes HP and LP hoses in all kinds of lengths in a variety of colors. Get some orange hoses for your reg and I guarantee it'll stand out from the crowd...

EDIT: beaten to the engraver idea...

Hello,

The engraving tool may just be the ticket. I have NO plans of selling my gear (you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands) so a perm solution would work.

Ed

I have always taken the position that when marking gear, I should be able to see my gear from across the dock. That way there is no mistake that this person did not accidently picked it up. Yellow rubber paint markers work for me.

Somethig I have done for bits of kit that can't be engraved is mark it with permanent marker.

My fins have pictures of sharks and octopus drawn on and painted in with reflective paint, great to identify your kit on land but also stands out under the water as the pictures reflect.

I'm certainly no metallurgy expert. So does anyone else know if engraving a tank would affect its integrity in a negative way? I realize that a hydro stamp probably affects the tank more than an engraving tool would, but I'm not sure. Could the engraver perhaps be used right before the tank is due for a hydro?

-Roman.

I doubt any engraving would cause any structural problems to the tank. That is unless you go deeper than the other stamps on the tank.

As somebogy already the engraving will be a little more thank a scratch as compaped to any damage it might suffer.

this question is for blacknet or anyone else who knows

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom