Thimble jelly larvae have arrived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And therefore, so have the itchy lumps and bumps I acquired in the past couple of days. Am treating with hydrocortisone cream, allergy meds and something I bought locally called Andantol. They got trapped under my beanie/strap so stings are in my scalp and from ear to ear under my chin/throat. Not sure how they found their way down my back given all the seals on my wetsuit but they did. Ouchy, ouchy, ouchy. I never actually saw thimble jellies in the water but I guess their larvae were there... This is the start of the season...
So was it the larva or jelly that stung you?

A local pharmacist insists that the crème dela crème is still Benadryl.
The generic version is available at Ahorro on the island. It's called/labeled Difenhidramina
An added benefit of Benadryl/diphenhydramine is that it also works as an antiemetic,so you can skip the dramamine if you are prone to seasickness.

An added benefit of Benadryl/diphenhydramine is that it also works as an antiemetic,so you can skip the dramamine if you are prone to seasickness.

I take a lot of allergy medications and I have never had a problem with any of them except oral Benadryl - that stuffs puts me right to sleep! I have used it and it works, but only if I can plan on staying inside and getting into bed.

I've also learned (the hard way) to be careful about mixing seasickness meds and allergy meds. I did that on a liveaboard trip from Florida to the Bahamas years ago and it increased the pressure in my eyes. I developed "floaters" across my vision that will never go away.

I'm used to the floaters and they usually don't bother me much - except in strong sunlight - but I am much more careful now about mixing meds and always try to consult a doctor or pharmacist first.

I had another bad reaction to a medication once on a diving trip. I was wearing the scopolamine patch for seasickness and I temporarily lost my near vision - I couldn't read anything - everything was blurry. I took a day for my vision to come back after I removed the patch.

But topical skin ointments and creams like Benadryl work fine for me and I've recently become a fan of the Allegra anti-itch ointment for mosquito bites and other skin irritations - it's good stuff!

Last edited:
A local pharmacist insists that the crème dela crème is still Benadryl.
The generic version is available at Ahorro on the island. It's called/labeled Difenhidramina

Yeah that is what we used until we found out about Zyrtec. The difference in effectiveness is dramatic.

Thank God my wife and I have never been diving Coz during this time of year for this larvae invasion. There's enough things that manage to sting us somehow and last thing I need we need is to experience an invasion of these things no matter how short lived it is. Then again, the producers of Andantol need to stay in business too. The anti-itch cream producers and the stinging sea life seem to have their own symbiotic relationship.

drrich, I've seen suffers at Roatan and Belize.

Back
Top Bottom