Thimble jelly larvae have arrived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank God my wife and I have never been diving Coz during this time of year for this larvae invasion. There's enough things that manage to sting us somehow and last thing I need we need is to experience an invasion of these things no matter how short lived it is. Then again, the producers of Andantol need to stay in business too. The anti-itch cream producers and the stinging sea life seem to have their own symbiotic relationship.
FWIW, I got back a few days ago from two weeks on Cozumel. We dove nearly every day, and in all that time in the water I had one mild twinge on my upper lip.

Yeah that is what we used until we found out about Zyrtec. The difference in effectiveness is dramatic.

Are you saying that Zyrtec is better than Benadryl in this scenario?

Pica pica, aka sea lice seem to affect wetsuit divers more than bathing suit divers. The larvae seem to go off when they get stuck and are starting to dry just a bit. Rinse with fresh water after the dive and you won't have such an issue. Be especially thorough around tight areas like waistbands, etc.

Are these in Grand Cayman? Finished the first dive of the trip today and as I broke through the last 1-2 feet approaching the ladder suddenly it felt like I dipped my lips into a wicked hot sauce. Upper lip mostly and to a much lesser effect on the lower. No other areas affected (full wetsuit) and no swelling or redness. There seemed to be a "cloud" of very fine tiny particulates at the surface, sort of light brown, rod shaped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom