Things aren't lost in the ocean, they just find new owners.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an idea. I have heard of people who make their first photo be of their own business card, or name and phone number/email address. That way if it gets lost, someone who finds it can get hold of them and return it. In my experience, most people would send it back if they knew where to send it.

My $0.02

Most cameras have a small amount of built-in internal memory. Remove the memory card and take a photo of your PII. If the finder does not return it he may one day be found out even after wiping or replacing the memory card.

Just an idea. I have heard of people who make their first photo be of their own business card, or name and phone number/email address. That way if it gets lost, someone who finds it can get hold of them and return it. In my experience, most people would send it back if they knew where to send it.

My $0.02
I like what this guy did in case he lost his camera.
Snow in a Teapot: Design Blog: If Found...
Some people are just too funny.

Well every trip we invariably dive Santa Rosa, and each time we joke about finding my hubby's wedding ring on the dive. It's been a few years since he lost it there, but no luck yet! :shakehead:

Not trying to be a jerk....but how does one lose their underwater camera? It seems to happen somewhat often. I saw a note at a dive shop in Bonaire last month that said "Lost Cannon Rebel on Bari Reef if found please call xxxxxxx".

Glad you got it back though!

PH

Not trying to be a jerk....but how does one lose their underwater camera? It seems to happen somewhat often. I saw a note at a dive shop in Bonaire last month that said "Lost Cannon Rebel on Bari Reef if found please call xxxxxxx".

It does seem to happen often.. :sad: Unless positive buoyant anything will sink. And if on a wall for example, even a neutrally buoyant item may be gone before it can be grabbed, especially if there is current. Clips are always a good idea, however, operator error or malfunction does happen. Just like any gadget, camera's, especially the point and shoots can be dropped and gone without realizing it until it is way too late. At the least, hopefully, a turtle comes by and snags it as he is heading out for a long swim so it can be eventually returned to the owner :chuckle: .. As far as the bigger setups, yes, I agree, it is amazing how many are lost, but "it" happens for sure. Just in case, my husband takes a photo with ID information which includes where we are staying, what dive op we are diving with, phone numbers and home contacts. He also has contact information etched on his camera, strobes and housing for a more permanent ID.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2012 at 09:32 AM ----------

Well every trip we invariably dive Santa Rosa, and each time we joke about finding my hubby's wedding ring on the dive. It's been a few years since he lost it there, but no luck yet! :shakehead:

Kathy, As long as you keep looking, there is hope that it will not be lost forever. Michael and I look for it every time we go. Maybe...just maybe....it will show up !! :)

Hum...since he's still with you, I guess he didn't do it intentionally :rofl3:
I'll keep an eye out next week, and maybe I'll find it for you if we dive Santa Rosa.

PH

When I first got my camera, I almost lost mine. I had a nice spring line with a brass dog clip. The missus had it and gave it back to me at the bottom. I carefully hooked it to the bcd, pulling on it to make SURE it was on the ring. However the brass clips didn't close and a minute later it started for the surface without me. It didn't get away, but it did try to have an escape...

Kathy, As long as you keep looking, there is hope that it will not be lost forever. Michael and I look for it every time we go. Maybe...just maybe....it will show up !! :)
You never know!! But if you see a turtle sporting a simple white gold band, grab him!! :wink:

Hum...since he's still with you, I guess he didn't do it intentionally :rofl3:
I'll keep an eye out next week, and maybe I'll find it for you if we dive Santa Rosa.
Nope!! Not intentional .... after 37 years together, and 33+ of them married; I think he's stuck with me - ring or no ring! And he doesn't wear his new ring while diving.
(I cannot complain ... since we had matching rings, and he wanted to keep it that way, I got a brand new wedding ring as well! He's a keeper!!)

PARADISE HUNTER asked, how does one lose their underwater camera?

The very same way someone loses a boat, or a person from their group, or anything else.
It's the sea, throw in some waves, a current or two, and the wind and things get dicey.
In this case a plastic clip on my BC was the culprit.

Me too, and safe and happy travels to you....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom