Things I learned in first 20 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KyBuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I hate snorkels.

You can descend through a school of barracuda and not get attacked.

Goliath grouper are huge.

There is no depth police at 60 feet.

Drift dives over reefs in 35 feet of water are easy and fun.

Six packs are alot better than cattle boats.

If a diver appears nervous or seems to be having trouble they probably are.

Even people with alot of dives, diving tattoos and locally known don't always have the best diving skills (as they crash into reefs and don't seem knowledgeable about their gear) no matter how cool they talk.

If you make an effort to work on bouyancy it does get better.

While still a gas hog, it does get better with each dive.

Waiting to buy your gear for a while is great advice, however, with alot of research, a knowledgeable LDS, scubaboard and talking to alot of divers, you can buy your gear as you can afford it and be happy with it.

Gigantic knives are not always the answer (my dive buddy with the sword knife continually asks to "borrow" my four inch knife with tank knocker while on dives).

Not everyone believes in or practices safety stops. :idk:

I plan to kill lionfish as I get more comfortable diving.

When you roll in off the boat.....hold your mask. :dork2:

Turtles are alot bigger than I thought.

Current will make you use more air.

When on a cattleboat with an instuctor and his class the instructor will not hesitate to swim right over you, tangle your flag lines and then cut your line.

Stay away from somebody learning how to use their new speargun.

Most rental tanks won't have 3000 psi.

Halcyon has incredible customer service.

Listen to the DM briefing.

Do not rinse your mask in the bucket designated for cameras.

Make sure the captain and DM are aware of your lack of experience so they don't try to drop you on a wreck in 90 feet of water on your second dive ever in life.

Most experienced divers are more than willing to talk to a newbie and offer advice and experiences. They will even point stuff out to you during the dive.

Octopus really do squirt ink.

A huge ray swimming on the bottom out of no where is an awesome sight.

AOW and nitrox certs are a must. (for me)

Snorkeling after diving is not the same.

I have to learn to take incredible pictures like some of you take.

Not everybody on the dive boat appreciates it when you bring up a Diet Coke can from the bottom.

Going through security in the airport with a carry on full of dive gear WILL cost you extra searching.

The person on the boat that smells like alcohol will be a problem at some point. 2 for 2 on this one.

There is too much fishing line on wrecks and reefs.

I am consumed with getting better and diving as often as I can.

I got lots of advice and information through this site.

Buck

Thanks for the thread! Lots of good stuff...

Here is a couple more..

Listen to your ears. Clear them and clear them often.

In cold water even in a pool in south Texas you will use more air than normal.

Not all LDS are created equal.

For every bad LDS out there; there are 5 guys here that genuinely care about you and what you are trying to accomplish!

Divers are very opinionated and passionate about their gear!

Some stuff i learnt in my first 20 or so dives:

• Qualifications do not equal skill
  • cost does not equal quality
  • It dosent take much to make you use more air
  • Low vis can make your head go funny
  • intended function does not always equal how a piece of equipment will be used
  • Newer equipment isnt always better
  • Older equipment isnt always better
  • You really need a cuff dump to be able to do rescues in a dry-suit
  • An ill fitting dry-suit will kill you eventually
  • No matter how cold it gets in the water it will be colder on the boat
  • Some integrated weight systems are good and some are bad
  • If you have a vanity zip on your dry-suit you will inevitably jump in the sea with it open
  • An intermediate pressure gauge is invaluable
  • You rarely need as much weight as you think you need
  • If you cant justify wearing a piece of equipment, don't wear it
  • no matter how experienced you get you will still occasionally do something stupid
  • You cant always get below bad vis
  • No matter how much technology is in your regulators, the whole system still relies on a little seating made of rubber and some O-rings that probably cost a few pence
  • You never know as much as you think you do
  • Your never as skilled as you think you are
  • don't be afraid to say no

These are great lists! (I sure agree with the one about it being colder on the boat.)

Things I learned from my first 20 dives:

Things ALWAYS make sense, because physics is inexorable. If what's happening to you doesn't seem to make sense, then you've missed some necessary information, or you're interpreting it improperly. (This is specifically regarding buoyancy control.)

Gear that FITS is really important to new divers. Gear that's familiar is a close second.

As counterintuitive as it seems, adding weight is often NOT the answer to buoyancy problems.

There are more kinds of starfish than I ever dreamt of.

Divers are amazingly generous and gregarious people.

And most importantly, precisely on my 20th dive, I learned that there was a whole UNIVERSE of diving out there that I had no clue existed.

I very much enjoyed your post. I think I would agree with all 20 although I haven't gotten my Nitrox cert yet.

Things I learn't in my first 20 dives.

The loudest person on the dive boat is inevitably a nightmare once you get in the water.
Sea Sickness can ruin a whole day diving.
Watching the dive boat motor off away from where you have surfaced is a bit depressing to put it mildly.
If you don't secure stuff properly it won't be there when you need it.
Don't inflate your DSMB using air you have just breathed out through your exhaust valve while in the presence of a BSAC instructor ( I know its a bad practice but using my Poseidon Cyclones it works very well )
Tank bangers are a complete waste of money and you will leave them on a rental tank someday.
You will try and stand up in your Scuba kit while its still bun geed to the tank rack.
Snorkels and kelp don't mix very well.

Addition:

If I lost 30 pounds diving would be easier, I would probably use less air and weight.

I don't enjoy seeing myself in a wetsuit. Can't imagine other people's view.

Wearing a swimsuit with velcro on pockets under wetsuit causes problems.

Saudi Diver is right about the loud person.

Seeing my first green eel was awesome. Watching the loud guy torment it for ten minutes sucked.

It is possible to buy too many T shirts with dive flags on it.

Don't wear one of those T shirts on a dive op boat that is an advertisement for his competitor. Yes, I did this.

If your dive buddy freaks out when he can't clear his mask properly the first time at 50 feet, making fun of him over a Dos Equis does NOT strengthen your bond.

Don't assume the small, older lady on the boat is somebody that needs exta attention. As it turns out, she may be a rescue diver who has traveled the globe diving and shows you your first nurse shark, lobster and eel.

I don't have a dive knife - I carry shears - work better for the fishing line!

I enjoyed your post BTY!

Echoing:

• I do not like snorkels
  • Number of dives does not equate experience or skill
  • Why I was ever taught to dive without a long hose, I will never know. I have found it invaluable
  • Practicing skills is too important not to do at least one every dive.
  • Beer of gasses Nitrogen perfectly :D
  • Not all LDS's are created equal. One may be good for one thing and not for another. Some just want money
  • Just because some guy looks like a whale does not mean he can not out swim your lazy butt. (My Instructor for DM is not the smallest guy in the world but he can move. Other guys in class can barely keep up and I laugh at them through my reg often.)
  • Shut up and listen. Talking is over rated, you may learn something
  • Eat ginger before diving in rough seas. It gives seasickness a run for its money
  • Study on your own, you never know what you may learn
  • AOW and Rescue are invaluable (as was my Deco and Cavern classes)
  • Those glutes need more work than you think (as does your lower back) for good trim
  • Slow down. Look at what youv'e been missing mister speedy
  • Silt is not your friend. Lines can be
  • A good dive buddy is worth his weight in gold
  • It is hard to find a rental DIN, though I prefer them
  • Ditch-able weight is overrated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom