Things to watch for in used rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sensor

Reaction score
Hi All

This is my first post so take it easy on me. I'm going to be purchasing a used inspiration rebreather. I'm looking for some info on what I should be asking the seller before I buy, and what I should be looking for when I go and look at it. I know you are all the questions are going to come up. Are you qualified to dive the inspiration? Which I am not but I and a very experienced SCR diver and I do plan on taking the course.

Next question. How easy is it to travel with? Do a lot of dive resorts carry all the necessary supplies to dive it?

Thanks

sensor once bubbled...
Hi All

This is my first post so take it easy on me. I'm going to be purchasing a used inspiration rebreather. I'm looking for some info on what I should be asking the seller before I buy, and what I should be looking for when I go and look at it. I know you are all the questions are going to come up. Are you qualified to dive the inspiration? Which I am not but I and a very experienced SCR diver and I do plan on taking the course.

Next question. How easy is it to travel with? Do a lot of dive resorts carry all the necessary supplies to dive it?

Thanks

first is ask for the serial number on the electronics lid.. then check with silent diving or ambient pressure diving and make sure its not stolen.. assuming its ok
you need to ind out the counter lung size and harness size...

someone about 6' needs at least large / large

you need to measure yourself to see what size you need, with the heaviest thermal protection you are going to use measure where your belt would be from the back to over the shoulder back to the belt.. if this is under 110 cm you can use a medium, 110 or greater you need a large 1 inch=2.54 cm

The seller will probably ask you who your instructor is, so a critical component can be shipped to him... most reputable divers will not ship a complete unit to an uncertified user.. if the diver is too anxious to ship it, I'd question it..

If you open the scrubber lid and take a look at the sensors you may be able to read the sensor serial numbers. There will be a two letter code on the sensors (teledyne) the first letter denotes the month the sensor was made and the number denotes the year, so if it says eg C3, then this would mean the sensor was made Feb 2003. If the sensors are over a year old you may need to factor a new set of sensors into the price.

Make sure handsets are not damaged or leaking and that they are working. Check unit controls and maintains po2. Check to see what handset version it has (backlight?)

Check for signs of damage or tears to counterlung covers, all hoses and wing ;a quick positive and negative pressure test would indicate leaks. Check tanks for last test date.

After recent events it may even be a good idea to make a note of the serial number (from the top of the scubber lid)and check on the users forum or factory to make sure its not stolen.

Traveling is no problem (as long as you dont fly continental cos they just treated mine like sh*t and smashed the fu*k out if it!!):fury: :fury:

Never had a problem so far getting O2 or lime. I usualy check ahead and make sure O2 is available and normaly carry my own lime if not available locally.

Good luck
Mike

(artist formerly known as idiotfish)

I would get the manual prior to purchase, and have a good understanding of the predive checks.

Verify all above, perform a positive and negative loop volume check.

Look carfully inside of the head for any evidence of a loop flood.

Verify computer caibrates and cells funtion properly, and that computer controlls po2 by adding proper amounts of 02

Look closely at wiring plugs into cells, have the owner make those connections viewable(make shure they havent been hacked)

verify function of both manual addition valves.

Request any reciepts for service(first stages ect.)

Request all original documentation of the unit.

Remove(have owner) remove 4 screws holding front cover on handsets. Verify magnets are'nt corroded. Look at clear plastic case and verify no evidence of handset leak.

Ship the entire unit to your instructor.

I would replace all o2 sensors, rebuild the mouthpeice, maybe even replace the solenoid. All o-orings. I think an overhaul generally costs about $900.00. If the unit is fairly new and not dove much you could probably get by with much less. But I would strongly suggest that a new RB diver get this completed in order to start with a "known" functioning unit. Silent diving can carry this out for you. Or don townsend at Milleniumdivers.com

When purchasing try to figure in the cost of all parts required to do a general overhaul and make sure it is still more cost effective than a new unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom