Things you won't find in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In past visits, we noticed you can't buy half&half in the Mega. Is that just in the Mega, or is half&half not done in MX? What other items are we accustom to in the US that aren't typical in MX or specific to Cozumel?

Personally, I just use heavy cream in my coffee while there, but my wife prefers to bring non-dairy creamer with us (yuck).

Real milk vs boxed milk. Not just in Mexico, many countries used the boxed kind. Yuck, coffee never tastes right.

In past visits, we noticed you can't buy half&half in the Mega. Is that just in the Mega, or is half&half not done in MX? What other items are we accustom to in the US that aren't typical in MX or specific to Cozumel?

Personally, I just use heavy cream in my coffee while there, but my wife prefers to bring non-dairy creamer with us (yuck).
The solution: Bailey's Irish Cream. :D

Real milk vs boxed milk. Not just in Mexico, many countries used the boxed kind. Yuck, coffee never tastes right.
I guess you're referencing the Ultra-Pasteurized milk that doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened (better shortly before). I keep a couple of quarts at home just in case, but it does not taste as good.

One night I came in from a dive trip late, stopped at a convenience store for milk, but it was closed - which never happens. So I went to the next one, and they were out of milk - which never happens. The third one had milk, but their register was closed for updates - huh? I gave her money and took the milk.

If you're passing through Playa del Carmen, try Walmart. Or just buy whole milk and heavy cream and mix it 50-50. As for non-dairy creamer, does Mega not have Coffee Mate or whatever?

Your intuition is probably right that half and half isn't a Mexican thing--and perhaps no other country's thing. I don't think I've seen anything exactly like it outside the US.

Your intuition is probably right that half and half isn't a Mexican thing--and perhaps no other country's thing. I don't think I've seen anything exactly like it outside the US.
If it were a new idea, I'd pass. I wonder how they got it to sell at first. I do have some that I use in place of regular milk in cream pies, and it's Ultra-Pasteurized.

I have seen half-and-half at Chedraui. Also, whole, organic real milk (which I buy regularly). I never buy half-and-half; just mix whipping cream (make sure you get the real stuff and not something full of other stuff) and whole milk. You have to carefully read ingredients here. Something that says Mantequilla (butter) can legally contain up to 20% other crud.

I used to always drink my coffee with 1/2 and 1/2. A few years ago, I changed over to almond milk instead. I like the taste better and it is easy to find in Cozumel. I wish I could drink my coffee straight black, but too bitter.

I used to always drink my coffee with 1/2 and 1/2. A few years ago, I changed over to almond milk instead. I like the taste better and it is easy to find in Cozumel. I wish I could drink my coffee straight black, but too bitter.

I'm honestly not trying to change anyone's coffee drinking preferences and I don't really care what people put in their coffee, just know there are a dozen factors (i.e. roast, grind size, freshness and quality of bean, etc) that can affect degree of bitterness. Coffee is not just coffee. A pinch of salt can reduce bitterness too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom