Thinking about a Saturday dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's meet at Burger King in Beverly at 9:00am. The BK is a service area on Rt 128 North and is just past Exit 19.

Old Garden has quite a bit of interesting rock formations -- you've just got to know where to go and/or swim far enough. Last month the entry was not too bad, though the beach is covered in small rocks which are a pain to walk on.

I rented a LP104 to try out, so I'll have plenty of air and not much weigh on :).

We can decide where we want to go from there. What is your name, Devils_advocate and how should we find each other?

I drive a silver Subaru Impreza WRX wagon. I'll likely be in my blue/black Andy's undies. I'm 6 feet tall, thin, 25 and have my hair buzzed. This is starting to sound like a personals ad :).

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
This is starting to sound like a personals ad :).

... as long as you don't start saying things like "I'll be the one with the stage-bottle rigged rose"

I'll be there! BTW I drive a white Chev Impala. I'm 25 caucasian, dark hair, 6' tall and a medium build. I'll probably have my Oklahoma Sooners hat on.

I'll be using LP 80's hehee (one at a time) and probably 30 lbs of weight;-0 .

Oh... names' David

Hi -

I just realized that I can make it tomorrow! I'll see you at BK at 9AM. I'll be in a Reddish/Brown Subaru Outback wagon.

Can't wait!

Gary

Hats off to the North eastern divers...

Well I met Aaron, Gary and Gary but my dive was not so good. The entry point was very rocky and the surf was moderate. But the surf was strong enough to knock my dumbass down! I lost my footing and tried the same method of recovering that I use in Florida. Mean while Gary is trying to tell me to get the hell out of the surf.....of course I'm not hearing it I'm just focused on trying to recover. So I drop a fin which is immediately pushed away frome me (Cause I'm still in the damn surf!). So, I recovered that one and began pushing my way out. That is when another wave came over my head while I was trying to put on a fin and knocked my mask off my head. Sooo, I spin to grab my mask...gone in the process lost the other fin. :upset:

So all in all not a good dive for me. Lost a fin, mask, snorkle and a bit of pride. For my first 'almost' dive in the New England area it was def. a learning experiance. But on the flip side that is the first dive that I arrived with two tanks of air and left with the same. Nine years of diving and I lost my first peice of equipment. ;-0

hehehe anybody want to buy one used fin?:D

You are officially a New England Lobstah Diver!

I give you guys a lot of credit, it is c-c-c-cold out there!!!
C-R-A-Z-Y in my book!

Anyway, thanks for sharing, how did the rest of you do? What is the water temp?

We went to Old Garden Beach. Gary D. and I ended up going out on a 40 degree heading out by the deeper ( 40 foot) rocks. We swam quite a way out before turning around because I was pretty cold. I didn't wear enough under the suit to be comfortable for the whole dive.

Water temperature ranged from 34 to 36 degrees FC.

Vis was poor for OGB...even further out. There was a ton of surge even far out, so it was a somewhat tiring dive in addition to the cold. It was like a nuclear wasteland out there: a few starfish, some orange coral, some clam-like creatures, and a whole lot of big rocks. Not a lobster, crab, or skate to be seen.

I crawled onto the shore because the surf had gotten worse since we entered and then proceeded to walk up the ramp and sit down where, for some reason, I got very very nauseated. It passed after a few minutes, we loaded up and left.

All in all it was a good day, but that water is darn cold. The difference between 38 degrees and 34-36 is substantial.

My dry suit didn't leak though!

Aaron and I did OK. Water temp was 36 degrees. I was exceedingly grateful for my new dry gloves (complete with disposable hand warmers .. thanks for the idea Arduous!).

The conditions were kind of deceptive. It looked fairly calm, but the surf was actually quite rough. There was also a fair amount of surge once we got under.

We managed to stay under for around 45 mins, and hit 42 feet. The only sealife we saw were some starfish! I thought the viz was pretty poor, but sitting here thinking, I just realized that it was probably about average at 15 feet or so. I just got back from a week of cruising and diving the Carribbean (dove Grand Cayman, Cozumel and the Bahamas), and I think I had my expectations set too high!

I was really happy that the sun was shining when we got out of the water. Didn't take too long to warm back up. Hopefully the water temp will start rising soon, and diving will become a little less painful!

Gary

WOW you guys are hardcore. I was down at the beach here (SS) yesterday and the swells were rolling in. That must have been a wild entry and I'm not surprised it was a little kicked up underwater.

Devils_advocate, don't give up on that place, in the summer they 'scape the beach with sand and the entry is a dream.

34degs, it doesn't get much colder than that. Surge can be tough to dive in as well, I always feel like I'm getting motion sickness when it's real strong..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom