Thinking about going tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of interesting, and informative posts here; here's my 2 psi. Back in the early 90's I did a lot of single tank deco diving on air (120-180' range). I didn't plan my dives or gas consumption and I didn't know better. Fortunately, my experience and comfort in the water kept my out of real trouble (only one relatively minor bends hit). I took at ten year hiatus from diving and decided it needed to be a part of my life again. I knew from previous experience that I wouldn't be happy doing 70' NDL dives, so I embarked on tech training through normoxic trimix. Early in my tech training I thought I would continue on to advanced trimix (100 m) and rebreathers. Along the way, I discovered that the logistics of doing dives to 200' and beyond started to feel like work instead of fun. As such, I've settled on really enjoying dives in the 120-175' range as my comfort and enjoyment zone. Remember, at the end of the day, we do this because it is fun. Find your own level and fun and enjoy it.

That is exactly my plan. I now know that I will have to get into trimix. That will be the occasional treat, instead of Caribbean trip this year, time to start tec classes.

That is exactly my plan. I now know that I will have to get into trimix. That will be the occasional treat, instead of Caribbean trip this year, time to start tec classes.

If you plan to dive reguarly at depths shallower than those required by trimix, there is an important benefit. Taking a trimix course will make you a more competent diver at shallower depths.

There are a lot of interesting, and informative posts here; here's my 2 psi. Back in the early 90's I did a lot of single tank deco diving on air (120-180' range). I didn't plan my dives or gas consumption and I didn't know better. Fortunately, my experience and comfort in the water kept my out of real trouble (only one relatively minor bends hit). I took at ten year hiatus from diving and decided it needed to be a part of my life again. I knew from previous experience that I wouldn't be happy doing 70' NDL dives, so I embarked on tech training through normoxic trimix. Early in my tech training I thought I would continue on to advanced trimix (100 m) and rebreathers. Along the way, I discovered that the logistics of doing dives to 200' and beyond started to feel like work instead of fun. As such, I've settled on really enjoying dives in the 120-175' range as my comfort and enjoyment zone. Remember, at the end of the day, we do this because it is fun. Find your own level and fun and enjoy it.
I totally agree that below about 240ft its starting to be more and more like work and less and less like vacation - for me at least

Find out the cost of the He in Caribbean and then you might have second thought on the idea.

Buddy Dive in Bonaire charges $3 per cf. Hypoxic trimix cost me $1200 in gasses. It might have been a bit cheaper, but they like to use an END of 100 ft.

The advantage of a place like that is there is little possibility of losing training days to weather and you do not need to incur boat costs.

When I later did the trimix instructor course in Florida, I didn’t pay $3 cf, but I lost a day to weather and had to go out on the boat for almost all the dives.

You have to look at all the costs.

No no no
This 50% plan is a perfect example of using software instead of knowledge. This plan is TERRIBLE!
Just an example. Untwist your knickers.
`

Yes, but it's a comment from someone with a ton of actual experience of big dives, and has "walked the walk"

Rather than just some theoretical and an intro to tech course experience.

Ok, next question.

Do you guys know tech instructors in MA, and RI.

I know ed hayes is back in CT, he is GUE cave. I've heard heather Knowles isn't teaching anymore and those are the only instructors I know from my past.

I didn't know (or forgot) she stopped teaching but I would ask Heather K. who she's sending students to

While I don’t think Heather and Dave are teaching as much as they used to, they are still teaching and are the people I’d recommend locally. I’m not sure how much teaching they are doing at the upper levels, but they are still active in the community.

this is from the last weekly newsletter they sent out:

Class Schedule:

• Introduction to Technical Diving - Spring 2020. Please contact us ASAP if interested to discuss the class and equipment requirements
  • Individual 1-1 coaching available in private sessions throughout the year

If you are interested in technical diving classes, please contact us.

`

Yes, but it's a comment from someone with a ton of actual experience of big dives, and has "walked the walk"

Rather than just some theoretical and an intro to tech course experience.

Hi DD,

As you probably recall, this Texas cliché fits me perfectly on this subject: "He is all hat and no cattle." My Tech 40 cert does not make me a tech diver.

But when I scanned those profiles, I thought no way. The cost to benefit ratio was not good for me. But it was more of personal thing than an analytical thing.

Why do you agree with @rjack321 that that plan was "...Terrible."?

Thanks,
m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom