Thinking of going Commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, look it up for the details. I recall that about $4,000 or so are books, room and board. Course runs 7 days a week for the full term, no time off, no time during the day other than work, eat, sleep. They have no lack of applicants for the 12 to 15 spots. Of the students in his class, they had folks come from Europe as well as Mexico.

If you do not keep up a minimum mark during tests and evaluations you are dropped.

Typically the top folks get offers right from school. He did, but those folks also had other skills...he is a journey-man heavy duty mechanic and also had rigging experience.

It is a certified education institute so that in Canada tuition can be claimed on income tax. He received about $8,000 back.

You could also compare with Seneca College that offers a program, but it is term based.

Got my Sat ticket renewed at Fort Bill and saw the asking price on HSE 1 and 2 courses today.
Suffice to say I would not have done my HSE2 if those were the equivalent prices 23 years ago ... but back then Her Majesty's government was a lot more desperate to get North Sea oil ashore.

As far as schooling, I heard that Seneca offers a good program, and it's a fraction of the cost of others, although it is a much longer course and you have to go through the whole college program. For these underwater welding courses, where are they offered? Anyone have a link to more info on those?

It's my understanding that on oil rigs the greenhorns with little training or experience in the field are stuck with calculating NDLs and air consumption and setting the gear up and basically being the divers' bitch. And then one day if they're lucky they get to dive

EDIT: Of course these are with on-site divers

It's my understanding that on oil rigs the greenhorns with little training or experience in the field are stuck with calculating NDLs and air consumption and setting the gear up and basically being the divers' bitch. And then one day if they're lucky they get to dive

EDIT: Of course these are with on-site divers

Thats called "Being a Tender" , and I would not call that being a divers bitch. A good tender manages the umbilical, interprets pull signals and can save a divers life. When I was diving SSA, my tender was always a good friend who I looked to, to look out for me.
All divers should start out as tenders.

Where I come from, its called 'Learning the Ropes' :wink:

I know there must be tons of these posts, but have a few q's for the divers in the industry. I have been diving for about 5 years now, and have been considering being a working diver for a while now. The only thing keeping me back is the job market. I already love diving, and Im thinking going commercial is the only realistic way to make a living doing diving as a career. I am currently a welder (with schooling and tickets) and have been working at that for about 2 years now. The only thing about that is that I want a career where Im doing a different job atleast every couple months, cant stand doing the same thing over and over every year, and Im definately willing to travel the world. Here's the thing, what I've been reading online is that there is job shortages for divers, and dont want to jump into a career where I wont find any work. On the other hand, Ive talked to a local owner of a commerical diving business, and was told by them that there is lots of work available if you're willing to travel. So what's the actual situation with finding jobs?

Thanks!
Look at becoming a recovery diver for Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), and go recover jettisoned booster rockets post-launch and space capsules post-splashdown. You will be working at launch/recovery sites offshore eastern & western US and possibly blue water Atlantic/Pacific Oceans.

In the meantime, SpaceX is looking for structural welders --great way to initially get into the company with a marketable skill & trade that you already have. . .

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation - Company

As an experienced welder, your main advantage is securing employment. Be careful when choosing a school. When I was at DCIEM, I worked part-time at Seneca College as a commercial instructor. A few companies had a relationship with Seneca, in-that they influenced the training that was undertaken. In-turn these companies hired graduates because they had the skill sets that they required. I started my career working for Cal Dive because of this relationship. As far as I know, Seneca's course is about the most inclusive in the industry and it's graduates are sought after. This in-itself is not enough however to guarantee employment in today's economy.

Be sure to contact the school and ask for the ratio of grads to grads actually employed. Contact the companies that hired members of the last class and call them. Ask how their new employees are doing. Tell them what you're looking at and go from there.

Upon graduation, be prepared to tender for a period of time. This can range between 3 months and two years. It seems that small on-shore companies have a shorter wait list before divers are dressed. For me it was better to secure a full-time job as a diver than to make great money on a part-time bases, but each to each his own. I was fortunate in eventually securing employment with Global Industries (acquired by Technip last year), it is one of the world's largest diving operations with an annual income in-excess of a billion dollars. Pay and benefits were excellent and promotion was available. I left Global as the Managing Director, Asia and Pacific Region to become an independent Consultant for Big Oil, retiring last January.

If you have any further questions, feel free to drop me a message. Good luck!!

Wayne

Inland for me was first day on the job, hat up get to the bottom and start working.. My boss said im not going to keep you around if you cant dive.

Get an IMCA ticket
do some I shore work
go offshore asia

Skip the welding cause no one will hire you for welding alone and you can save the money for an offshore survival course.

Its really hard, and the pay is **** in the beginning. But once your established, the money is awesome and the life is like none other.

Oh, avoid the gulf like the plague. They are ****ED down there!

Cam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom