Thinking of moving to FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like my next step is to pull a map of south FL, overlay it on a diving site map and see if I can find some firms within 20-30 mins. of where I want to live and dive.
Having buddies experienced with the area would be great, there's a lot of shore diving out of Broward?
Took me reading it twice to get the batteries, ice, water, blue tarp and plywood message. Hurricanes...got it. Almost didn't make it out of Jamaica 5 years back due to one, don't think staying a few extra days in Jamaica would have been the worst thing to happen. Have experienced plenty of major and minor earthquakes though, will be a welcome change to actually get a bit of notice when a natural disaster is going to happen in your area.

the jupiter/palm beach gardens/WPB area is nice. Jupiter Dive Center is about 10 minutes from the entrance to my neighborhood. Blue Heron Bridge is 15 minutes away. Scads of dive operators in West Palm Beach are 15-20 minutes away. Lauderdale by the Sea is less than 60 minutes on the weekend and Key Largo is a little over 2 hours on weekend mornings. If you have a dog, you can walk it on Jupiter beach. All sorts of neat restraunts: both modestly priced and expensive. Disney and Orlando are a little over 2 hours north.

My wife and I are looking into retiring early and moving to FL next year (or possible elsewhere in the Caribbean). We're avid divers here in S. CA, but love warm water even more.

One thing I've been wondering but haven't read yet is how is the diving year round in S. FL? I guess from what I'm reading we're thinking of the area somewhere between Jupiter and the Keys.

Here in CA we dive year round. It's colder but clearer in the winter. Maybe 50 in the coldest months and upper 60's in the warmest.

What's it like there, in term's of vis, temperature, and any other conditions that would affect diving (currents, rough conditions, etc - not counting the hurricanes or large tropical storms that you guys occasionally get).

Thanks,

Wally

One thing I've been wondering but haven't read yet is how is the diving year round in S. FL?
Wally

Compared to where you have been diving, you'll find the temps to be just fine in the winter: I dove throughout this last winter: coldest ocean day was about 70 degrees (I was comfortable in a 2mm shorty worn under a 3mm full sized wetsuit, sometimes with a hood, sometimes not). Once, while at the blue heron bridge, the temp was 63 degrees.

All my diving was in Jupiter, WPB, Boynton and Key Largo

Un poquito espanol. Mojito, margarita, cerveza, tequila, donde es el bano?
Mi gato es fria.
Which is cheaper to get to the Bahamas or other nice divable location?
Where do Florida divers vacation? I know it was super cheap to get to Cancun from Virginia Beach, and flights to Hawaii are a lot cheaper from San Francisco than from, say, Houston.
Out of Miami, what are some of the weekend trips offered?
As you can see, it's all about the vacations for me... Work hard, play harder.

Let me know when your gato is caliente, then we'll talk!:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom