This morning in Egypt ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was doing some reading today. The Red Sea has a huge number of registered liveaboards. I tried to read about liveaboard accidents but the information is difficult to find. I found 9 Red Sea accidents, fire, ran aground, capsized. I was hoping to find a database on liveaboard accidents around the world, but found nothing.
What time frame did those accidents cover?

Something to think about - if the MV Conception incident can happen in the U.S. where boats are heavily regulated and inspected by the U.S. Coastguard, then things aren't necessarily going to be better in other countries.

on the red sea liveaboards i've been on normally on the lower cabin deck the alternate route is out through the forward cabin at the end of the corridor - at the head of the bed in that cabin there's a hatch in the panellling which gives direct access out and up onto the bow deck.
Yes, this has been my experience as well. And, to be fair, at least on one boat I recall lower deck passengers were asked to open the escape hatch for themselves and see how it was done.

According to other press reports, the three who died had chosen not to dive that morning.
That was what I was wondering - were they still below in their cabins when the fire started - or did they go below to retrieve passports etc. - sounds like the former as you said.

That was what I was wondering - were they still below in their cabins when the fire started - or did they go below to retrieve passports etc. - sounds like the former as you said.

According to the news posted by @cmas3 in his post #50 in page 5, those 3 divers were sleeping in their cabins. The 2 DMs tried to reach them, but the heat was overwhelming.

Condolences to their family & friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom