Thought about Cave Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w ripley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those of you who haven't started thinking about cave diving I thought I might tell you how much fun you are missing.

Everyone I know who does it can't live without it. I hear people say that they could never make themselves go into such confined spaces, but most caves are pretty open inside, the water is warm, the vis is crystal clear, and you never get "blown out." Sure, you can go in smaller caves as you progress with your skills, but mostly it's just fun. The down side: there are no lobsters!

You already know how important your training was when you got your OW card, and cave diving is the same. With proper training you will learn how to safely enter a cave, how to safely read all of the markings provided inside for you and, most importanty, what to do when things go wrong. Just like open water, you can lose your life in a cave if you go in unprepared. But, knowing that didn't stop you from getting certified and it will be the same way with caving.

I took up cave diving to learn how to run reels in wrecks. I got the bug and have never been able to shake it. It's just that much fun and you meet a lot of good divers. You will also be impressed with how much better you are with your buoyancy and trim, and with your confidence in general when under water.

Maybe you would like to subscribe to the Cave Diving Forum and lurk around there for a while. It's a good source to find out about instructors who can walk you thru your training requirements and where you can go to start on this great adventure. Take a look at the cave diving videos on the net, especially the ones in Mexico as those caves are really pretty.

One last thing. You wouldn't jump off a boat without first knowing how to use your gear and what to do in an emergency. It's the same thing with cave diving, if not more so. Do yourself and your family a favor and learn the skills you need to survive before you decide to take up this exciting sport.

I agree 100% and would like to add that taking a cavern course will make you a better diver and you will be glad you did it. Trim and buancy dialed in, running reels and emergency procedures learned that alot of rec divers dont think much about. Proper finning techniques and gas planning, its all good. The more you know, the better off youll be. Dive safe!

I had a blast doing the cave training, I wanted to learn how to cave dive but the training was in addition to everything else (safety technique etc) really really fun.
Cave diving is the BEST thing on earth but it is not without risks, you really need the training to be able to cave dive safely.
Many people skydive every day but no one would try that without proper training I think, yet it is about as dangerous as untrained cave diving.

Most cave do not look dangerous they are big and super clear water, but is is extremely dangerous regardless of what a particular cave may look like.

No amount of OW training can adequately prepare you for cave diving.

Cave diving training is well wroth it it will improve every single aspect of anyone's diving and is well worth the effort.

Hello w ripley,
Aren't most cave divers " Tec trained " divers. Most of the people I have spoken with have Twin tanks for caving.And wouldn't you also have to set up all your dive gear differently? Means buying more gear, wings,etc?

feMailnitroxdiver

Not for cavern though. A 7 ft hose, 2 lights and a cavern[safety reel] are all thats required. The redundant gear for progressing into cave comes later.

Hello w ripley,
Aren't most cave divers " Tec trained " divers. Most of the people I have spoken with have Twin tanks for caving.And wouldn't you also have to set up all your dive gear differently? Means buying more gear, wings,etc?

feMailnitroxdiver

Everybody comes to cave diving from a different place. The double tanks carry a lot more air (= X2) and many of the OW divers end of going that route in OW just to have more bottom time.

You can rent doubles from most dive shops. Gives you a chance to find out if you like them and maybe buy a used set yourself. But you don't need doubles to take the cavern course and with some agencies even the 1st cave course.

Let's face it: Anyone ever found anything about SCUBA that didn't cost money? The up side is that as you learn more and more about your sport, even if it's cave diving, you find out what gear will really save your life. When I dive in the ocean I always carry a lift bag, a reel, a spare mask, and other gear I know I will need in an emergency. It's the same with caving.

The good news is that there are a lot of people in your same boat. For example, once you know what you want you can usually find in on ScubaBoard and for a reasonable price (if you look long enough). Same with going on the Cave Diver's Forum for cave gear. And, I dive with the same gear in the ocean as I do in the caves.

I think of it as taking the money I would spend on air fare to fly to Cancun to dive the reefs and putting it on some piece of gear that will help me dive the caves. Or, vice versa. It's just choices.

Hope that helps.

I am on the fence about encouraging people to cave dive.

I don't mean to be rude, but I look around at all these OW divers I see, and most of them scare the living daylights out of me. I don't want them in or near the water, let alone caves. I'm constantly amazed that the majority of them surface alive.

I'm also upset that it takes a cavern course to teach someone PROPER diving technique and safety facts such as gas planning.

I also feel that there are a lot of cave diving instructors that don't prepare people to cave dive safely. Open water divers aren't the only ones who scare me, the only ones who I wonder how they survive a dive.

I also question the use of equipment that does not provide for true redundancy even within the daylight of a cave.

Caves are absolutely amazing. I cannot fathom how people would not want to cave dive. I would not trade my experiences in caves for anything, and I wish there was a way for everyone to experience what I have in there.

But caves are dangerous. They kill a lot of people. A lot of people destroy the caves. A lot of people shouldn't be scuba diving, but are. A lot of people shouldn't be passing people with their mediocre skill set, but are. Call me a jaded old fart, or a pessimistic people hater...I just don't want divers dying in caves. If that makes me a terrible person, so be it, I suppose.

If you want to get into cave diving, I suggest you start by reading the documents produced by the cave diving agencies and the rescue agencies on the dangers of cave diving. Then contact a GOOD instructor. Find one where their students say "his/her class was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had to work my butt off for that certification, and when it was done with, I earned it." Whatever you do, do not dare go with the lowest priced instructor. This is your life you are talking about here. If anyone snickers when you say who you are taking class with, that's a bad sign. Then, be a good diver. Don't suck at diving. It's really not that hard, just stop being a terrible diver.

Start Here and read all of the accident reports. To go above and beyond, interview someone who has helped with a recovery.

Then contact a GOOD instructor. Find one where their students say "his/her class was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had to work my butt off for that certification, and when it was done with, I earned it." Whatever you do, do not dare go with the lowest priced instructor. This is your life you are talking about here. If anyone snickers when you say who you are taking class with, that's a bad sign. Then, be a good diver. Don't suck at diving. It's really not that hard, just stop being a terrible diver.

That sounds just like the Full Cave class I came out of a few weeks ago. It has taken me almost 2yrs & 3 attempts to finish up from Intro. In that time, I practiced at home in the local quarry & made occaisional trips down (as I could) to gain experience. In the end, I found that the time it took me to finish, gave me the time I needed to mature & develop as a diver to handle the environment. The course & practice outside of the course has helped my overall diving skills immensely!:cool2: My instructor was adamant that he would not pass me, until he knew the skills were embedded in me. As he put it to me, "I have to be able to sleep at night".

Jahjahwarrier, I think everyone should go to your profile page to see the beautiful picture of you in a cave. That's really a nice shot and that's what a lot of caves look like!

All of your points are valid, and your references are perfect. And, as you say, there are many new divers reading these threads. That's why it's so important that they begin thinking about their diving options and understand that there are dangers and that there are many people, like ourselves, who can help them as they go forward - safely - in their diving careers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom