Thought about Cave Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not even on the fence,I fell off. I don't encourage people to cave dive,but will make myself available to answer questions and mentor. Between losing a couple good friends in cave diving accidents,to having some "come to Jesus moments".I would feel awful if someone got into cave diving because of encouragement from me,and the sport really wasn't for them,and they drowned. Cave diving looks so benign and easy,until something really goes wrong,and as much as you can discuss it on forums,you really don't know how you are going to react. It is fun to learn a new skill and want to share it with the world,but unfortunately this isn't gourmet cooking.

I'll add another +1. A lot of times, the response I get when people find out I cave dive is "Oooh, thats scary!" or "I've never tried that, I'm not sure I'd like it."

My response to them is that it's not for everyone. And if they think it's scary, or don't have the training they absolutely shouldn't be trying it. I think cave diving requires a certain mindset. If you're just looking for a thrill, or an adrenaline rush, go find a cliff you can jump off of instead.

I am not even on the fence,I fell off. I don't encourage people to cave dive,but will make myself available to answer questions and mentor. Between losing a couple good friends in cave diving accidents,to having some "come to Jesus moments".I would feel awful if someone got into cave diving because of encouragement from me,and the sport really wasn't for them,and they drowned. Cave diving looks so benign and easy,until something really goes wrong,and as much as you can discuss it on forums,you really don't know how you are going to react. It is fun to learn a new skill and want to share it with the world,but unfortunately this isn't gourmet cooking.

Kelly I appreciate that post. I love what we do but won't encourage anyone to do it. As you can tell by looking at our caves that are beat to hell there are too many people doing it for the wrong reason. I have been in a situation that damn near killed me and it wasn't easy having to think of the right course of action to take to save my life. Most people I see need to slow the hell down and actually learn the caves and quit being worried about what's in back of the cave when they don't even know the first part of the cave. It sucks when you know someone that doesn't come back, you wanna be a part of this then you better be ready for that call.

Hello Mr. Bill Ripley,
I just wanted to say "Thank you" for your comments on my questions . They are very helpful.
I would like to try Cavern diving before Cave diving now .
Thanks again,
feMailnitroxdiver
(Kee)

Hello Mr. Bill Ripley,
I just wanted to say "Thank you" for your comments on my questions . They are very helpful.
I would like to try Cavern diving before Cave diving now .
Thanks again,
feMailnitroxdiver
(Kee)

Cave instructors are commonly refered to as crack dealers......cavern is just a teaser that gets lots of people hooked. :D

Cave instructors are commonly refered to as crack dealers......cavern is just a teaser that gets lots of people hooked. :D

I have also seen it work the other way too. Its not for everyone, and that comes out pretty quick. There needs to be a screening process that asks why do you want to do this.

There needs to be a screening process that asks why do you want to do this.

My instructor did that.

Just a personal note of how I feel. If you say the gear is cool, or you like the excitement or the danger then I think its not for you. I hate the heavy gear, I hate deco, but I love the geology inside the caves. So far everyone I dive with on a regular basis feels the same, as much as we admire the cave, our priority on the dive is protecting itt from any damage from us. I don't see enough of that now and its sad.

Just a personal note of how I feel. If you say the gear is cool, or you like the excitement or the danger then I think its not for you. I hate the heavy gear, I hate deco, but I love the geology inside the caves. So far everyone I dive with on a regular basis feels the same, as much as we admire the cave, our priority on the dive is protecting itt from any damage from us. I don't see enough of that now and its sad.

Man you nailed it. I remember one our dives at JB. We got there late and it was hot, crowded, and we ended up parking on the far side from the pavilions. After getting dragging everything down the hill and getting geared up we were already hot and sweaty and thinking to ourselves "why the hell do we do think its fun to do this?" Then we dropped down into the cavern and headed in and our lights lit up the crystal clear cave and I thought to myself, "Oh yeah, THIS is why..."

Cave diving is a lot of work. Just getting ready to go cave diving is a lot of work.

I have also seen it work the other way too. Its not for everyone, and that comes out pretty quick. There needs to be a screening process that asks why do you want to do this.

I have herd about people doing the first dive and not coming back to class. Honestly the grim reaper signs kept me out of the caverns untill I had proper training.

I'm sure my instructor had some type of screening process but I had taken 2 courses with him before any overhead training so he knew how I felt about it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom