Thought I was sold on Zoop, now considering Vyper Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would recommend either suunto D4i or a D6i
having a computer on a consol never does it for me the possabilites of snagging or damage from fouling etc etc just go for wireless much better i use a D9txi and never had a problem

Those "D" series are wrist watch type of computers. Fully functional, but in cold waters where you use thick wet suits or dry suits you need supplemental straps to get them on your wrist over the suit.

It is only recently that I have started using wrist computers, Vyper and Helo2. But... as I am always afraid of jumping in the water and forgetting to put computer on, so the wrist computer is in addition to one on my HP hose (either attached to hose or in console). Also when I take wrist computer off my wrist it is then strapped to the HP hose so it is always with me even if I forget to put it on my wrist.
I also dive in some sites where there are significant snagging possibilities. I have never had an issue of the console snagging or being damaged from fouling

Right now, I don't do much advanced diving, only once as of yet. . . . That in itself makes any computer future planning, let alone a more complex one. But, if that planning comes to fruition, I don't want to buy twice either. That makes the argument for the Vyper Air without the transmitter for the time being. . . . So, has anyone followed a similar path, and been happy with their choices, or would you have done things differently?
I see no problem with what you are planning. I bought a Vytec years ago, and didn't buy a transmitter for 5 years afterward. Once I bought it, I liked it, as a convenience. I also like the bigger displays on the Suunto models like the Vyper AIR and the HeLO2 (and the Vytec). Personally, I find the wrist watch style units (D4, D6, etc) to be expensive and hard to read. I don't care to wear my dive computer as a watch, anyway. (That is what my cell phone is for.)

AI is a convenience, nothing else. You have explicitly stated that you do not intend to eliminate the 'hard wired' gauges (good for you) so concerns about reliability are not particularly applicable. So, I see nothing at all wrong with what you plan to do.

Of course, if you really want to open the door to A LOT of extraneous discussion, we could talk about you moving to a BCD with a waist strap and a hip D ring, so you could clip your SPG (only, and lose the console) to a D ring, etc. etc.) :) But, let's not go there. That isn't what you asked about.
The second concern is the transmitter. I see what happens at work and home with wireless system. This makes me question under water wireless. Also, I can see the transmitter getting damaged easily.
I don't see the transmitter as fragile, although I confess I am on my third transmitter. The first one (bought used on eBay) was stolen, after giving 5 years of good service. The second one (bought used on eBay) flooded in salt water, twice within several months of purchase. The first time, I successfully cleaned it up - amazing what putting an electronic device in a little GMC hydrosonic cleaner will do. The second time, I decided it was an annoying problem and replaced it. The third one (bought new) works fine. So, I haven't had a real issue with damage - although I suspect the second one was somehow damaged before I bought it, probably why it was being sold. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you plan to drop your cylinder on it. I do disconnect mine from my first stage after diving. I also attach mine to a short, 6" hose rather than directly to a first stage port. I don't know if that makes any difference in the potential for damage, but it keeps the unit from awkwardly sticking out from the first stage in a vulnerable position.

if the D's to expensive then go vyper air! you really DO NEED a computer big time! alot of dive operations will not let you dive without them!
and you get to dive for longer

Back
Top Bottom