Thought I was sold on Zoop, now considering Vyper Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My criteria for my first computer are pretty simple, wrist computer and Suunto. I was pretty much sold on the Zoop, and was just waiting to put together the funds. Now I think I might want air integration, so I've been looking at the Vyper Air.

The reasoning for a wrist computer is that I find it a real pain to retrieve my console. I dive wet, in cold water. I also have a short torso. All of these contribute to a bulky upper body under water. I don't like retractors because of tangle possibilities, so I stuff my console in my BC pocket. I currently have a pressure gauge, depth gauge and compass. I will keep those as backup, regardless of what computer I get.

The same reasoning lead me to consider air integrated. Having all my primary information on in one place on my wrist makes sense, as does all my redundant information in one place in my BC pocket. Additionally, air integration allows for more automatic calculations. Again, I will keep my gauges so I don't get complacent using the computer.

One concern is price, of course, and I'll likely only buy the computer initially, and get the transmitter as I can afford it. This does defeat the purpose in the short term, but gets me where I want to be long term.

The second concern is the transmitter. I see what happens at work and home with wireless system. This makes me question under water wireless. Also, I can see the transmitter getting damaged easily.

Right now, I don't do much advanced diving, only once as of yet. I mostly dive as an instructor assistant with basic open water classes, and an annual (hopefully) warm water trip. That in itself makes any computer future planning, let alone a more complex one. But, if that planning comes to fruition, I don't want to buy twice either. That makes the argument for the Vyper Air without the transmitter for the time being.

So, has anyone followed a similar path, and been happy with their choices, or would you have done things differently?

i would recommend either suunto D4i or a D6i
having a computer on a consol never does it for me the possabilites of snagging or damage from fouling etc etc just go for wireless much better i use a D9txi and never had a problem

to my knowledge...the Vyper is not air integrated and thus no option to add the transmitter. It seems that your best bet would be the D4i or D6i as mentioned above.

Odd, my Vyper Air and transmitter seem to work very well together . . .:D

i would recommend either suunto D4i or a D6i
I'd love to go with a "D" series, but those are way out of my budget range.

The D series also have very small displays. I prefer the vyper/zoop/helo display, nice and easy to read.

I've had vyper air for about 2-3 years now with approx 80 or more dives on it. I enjoy convenience of wrist mount for all info including air. Reliability on wireless connection is good, but not 100%. Every once in awhile it loses connection, usually reestablishes connection, but a couple times did not. Found that if i change transmitter battery in cone transmitter annually ( even though suunto says it should last longer) that the failed transmission issue is virtually solved. Transmission also does not like me holding light in same hand. I carry spg as redundant air gauge, so none of this is a big deal. Would buy vyper air again if needed.

Go with the Vyper Air it also has a electronic compass. I've been using hoseless computer since they came out and I have never used or need backup analog gauges withthe computer. It defeats the purpose of the hoseless computer.

I currently have a pressure gauge, depth gauge and compass. I will keep those as backup, regardless of what computer I get

Waste of money to get AI then IMO

Waste of money to get AI then IMO

Overkill, probably. Gauges gets me redundancy, and AI gets me air/time remaining. Necessary? No, but in reality I could continue to dive without a computer at all. I do my tables anyway. I'm looking at it as getting more info, fun, enjoyment, etc.

Back
Top Bottom