Thought I would try here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I didnt see a listing for Oklahoma, so I figured I would see if any here has crossed the border and dove in ten killer lake. I just read a little about it in my Dive Training magazine, and it sounds like it might be worthwhile to drive 6 1/2 hours. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've only fished the lake, haven't dove it yet but want to. Supposed to be one of the best lakes in Ok. for diving. My old instructor used to take classes there for ow checkouts. I was supposed to do my checkout there several years ago but was sick when they went, so had to do my checkout in caribbean. :D

My instructor was telling me about a site he took students to that went down the side of a cliff and there is a little "cave" at about 75 ft. That may be the Turkey Bluff location on the website link. There are also some buildings there, but be careful. Don't try to go inside, very unstable, but supposed to be interesting to look at. I may get up there sometime this summer. Thermoclines are supposed to be a little chilly also. Vis. is supposed to be good for lake diving. Just remember, it's a lake. The boaters use your dive flag as a target. Here's another link.

http://www.laketenkiller.com/scuba.asp

You might try a pm to Firefyter, he may have been.

I have dove there, but it was only for my checkout, and that was 16 years ago. We stayed at the state park, and dove from Crappie Point. There are small caves, basically just indentations in the wall, almost everywhere you dive there. The islands out in the middle of the lake are supposed to have some pretty good ones, with lots of fish. When I was there, the vis was great for a lake, somewhere in the area of 20 ft. Lots of fish, but Sealskin is right, the thermoclines were pretty harsh. The water up top is nice and warm, but after the first 30 ft, it got cold. As deep as it is, there are several thermo's, and they just get colder, so be prepared. I would recommend it, especially since they've got other dive sites listed. The facilities were nice, and the water was great. I just wish we lived closer so I could dive it on a regular basis.

Firefyter:
I We stayed at the state park, and dove from Crappie Point.

Crappie Point. Ha ha.

Thomas, Marcus taught your ow course also, didn't he?

Oh, btw...75 hours, 4 minutes...
:monkeydan

Yep, Mike, Marcus taught me too. After watching some of the classes that are going on around here now, I wish he was still teaching. It seems like everybody's in a hurry, and they don't get near the education we got from that guy.
Oh, yeah, you just had to rub it in....I'll make it back to Mexico, hopefully later this year. My wife and daughter are going to Cancun the middle of the month, so the next trip's MINE. Hope you have a great time.

Yeah, he really knows his stuff. After my checkout dives on my first trip to coz. with him he made some subtle remarks...like use your lung volume to navigate the obstacles on the swim-throughs, this time watch what kicks the others are using so as not to roto-till, don't skip-breath to save air but try letting it out in stages...

I'm sure he did the breathing off of a tank without a regulator in your ow class also...nice to know that you can do that if your regs. give out on ya. He has done a whole dive in coz. with just a tank, no regs. Made the DM nervous.

But I'm off topic here, this thread is about Tenkiller!

Tenkiller is definitely on my to-do list.

Thanks for all the info. As far as the cold water, I cant imagine anything can be colder than Mermet at 100 foot, just short of Ice Diving. I will have to work tenkiller into my dive plans sometime this summer. Thanks again for all the info.

Tenkiller can be a great dive IF you have a boat. Otherwise the shore dive is from the state park at the south end of the lake. Their are a lot of building under water but you need a boat. Vis can run @5-10 ft at the park and greater in open water. Drop by the local dive shop at the south end and pick up a dive map. I dive tenkiller each year and it's always worth the drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom