Thoughts on Air Integrated (hoseless) computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great points. I've been using the Elite T3 for over 2 years and at most have had
2 consecutive samples (@ 15 sec) of "Lost Link" after downloading, and never more
than 3 or 4 "Lost Link" over an entire 40-50 min dive. Given the correlation between
strobe firing and link interruption, I'm extremely happy with the reliability of the link
and the computer itself. It's also never taken more than 15 or 20 secs to get link
back when I've noticed it underwater.

I've only been diving about 2.5 years, and not tech certified - I've never seen a
fellow diver with 2 SPG's. Probably not a bad thing, nor would having an SPG and
an AI computer, but where does redundancy stop?

Does this mean you have tried using AI computers and found them unreliable and failure prone and have therefore abandoned them. I can't prove this by any means, but my impression is that most who have tried air integrated computers are very happy with them, although that may vary a bit from brand to brand.

We have four divers in my family, three of whom use AI wrist computers. None has ever failed in a meaningful way, but we all also have backup SPGs, and have had two of those fail completely while on dive trips. This has led me to wonder if modern electronic instruments aren't actually more reliable than mechanical pressure gauges. That leads me to wonder.....I have oftern seen the suggestion that divers with AI computers should carry redundant mechanical gauges. Do those of you who use a mechanical SPG usually carry a backup for the SPG?

Great points. I've been using the Elite T3 for over 2 years and at most have had
2 consecutive samples (@ 15 sec) of "Lost Link" after downloading, and never more
than 3 or 4 "Lost Link" over an entire 40-50 min dive. Given the correlation between
strobe firing and link interruption, I'm extremely happy with the reliability of the link
and the computer itself. It's also never taken more than 15 or 20 secs to get link
back when I've noticed it underwater.

I've only been diving about 2.5 years, and not tech certified - I've never seen a
fellow diver with 2 SPG's. Probably not a bad thing, nor would having an SPG and
an AI computer, but where does redundancy stop?

I have no secondary air guage. I have a secondary computer (wrist mounted but not AI). My plan is, that if my AI computer (not hoseless) ever tanks on me mid dive, I call that dive immediately and asced to a safe depth knowing what I had in my tank when last checked (every 3-5 minutes) and finish my dive on my secondary computer by returning to either shore or the boat. I do have an SPG which is not part of my every day rig, so I would be able to mount that for use on subsequent dives if wanted.

Over the years I have participated in a number of hobbies that have had certain degree of risk, and there are a couple of lessons that I have learned, including:
1) Buy quality equipment, especially if it qualifies as LIFE SUPPORT
- the distinction between the middle of the field and the most expensive unit is lost on the average user...so pick something reliable and proven
2) Bring a backup of Key Items

My Save-A-Dive Kit includes an extra set of fin straps, mask strap, mouth piece, etc. My thoughts on the SPG and computers (AI or NonAI) is that this is the most critical equipment in the water....it is my life support monitoring device on a dive. Recently, I was paired with another diver who had just replaced her computer (non AI) due to failure and on the next dive the new computer went on the blink and compass flooded. What are the odds?

I started with the Cobra 2. I have a good feel for my SAC and dive time so I am not constantly checking my computer. However, it is still a pain to clip and unclip, especially if you are carrying additional equipment like a camera or light...lone enough both on a night dive. It becomes an orchestrated event. Safety stops while holding a line in current become more challenging. THe folks with wrist computers seem a little more at easy and less task burdened. Based on my experience as well as observations / comments from others, I think that an AI wrist computer coupled with a backup SPG unit would covers all the bases. If you are overly compulsive or cautious you might consider adding a non-AI computers into the SPG console so that if your primary computer fails you can continue your dive based on the SPG and backup dive computer.

When I asked what people thought about hoseless AI computers was if the majority of people that used one actually found it usefull and worth the money. And from what What I hear is that it is! Maybe adding an extra SPG to be safe. But adding anything else would be redundant, if my primary computer goes done the dive is over, regardless of what back-ups I have, until I know for sure what is going wrong with computer. I guess the real question was do the transmitters have a high probability to fail and it sounds like that doent maybe lose link for a sec or two.

Thanks I appreciate everyones imput it has been very helpful. And I Will be getting a Hoseless AI computer I believe now that it is worth it!!!!

I prefer having all the information I might need in one place, and I prefer that one place to be my wrist. I find it especially convenient because I often have a camera with me and don't have to deal with clipping or unclipping anything. It is just personal preference and is well worth the extra cost to me to have an air integrated wrist computer.

This is exactly how I feel. It's a great convenience; enjoy it and leave a traditional SPG on your rig just in case. My computer will even monitor my buddy's pressure. I am perfectly capable of asking my buddy how much air they have, but again, it's a nice convenience to see it there on my wrist. (At least when they are in range and in the right orientation for my comp to see their transmitter, which isn't that often.)

My computer calculates all kinds of fancy remaining bottom time values by watching my breathing rate, but I ignore all that crap and make a real dive plan.

Truly, each person's needs, preferences and finances are different and they should use what is right for them, and that may change over time or in different circumstances.

I have found it interesting, though, that people who don't use AI computers, and especially hoseless computers, usually want to explain why they don't use them and it is usually a claimed unreliability and failure points.

Does this mean you have tried using AI computers and found them unreliable and failure prone and have therefore abandoned them. I can't prove this by any means, but my impression is that most who have tried air integrated computers are very happy with them, although that may vary a bit from brand to brand.

We have four divers in my family, three of whom use AI wrist computers. None has ever failed in a meaningful way, but we all also have backup SPGs, and have had two of those fail completely while on dive trips. This has led me to wonder if modern electronic instruments aren't actually more reliable than mechanical pressure gauges. That leads me to wonder.....I have oftern seen the suggestion that divers with AI computers should carry redundant mechanical gauges. Do those of you who use a mechanical SPG usually carry a backup for the SPG?

if you substituting any plastic like SPG over the standard 2" brass unit produced mainly by Dive Rite, Halcyon or Scuba Pro you need to revaluate your reliablity thought process....The others are garbage IMO...

It also "fails" alot. Love the computer but transmitter link-up has a glitch. I have two of these and have spent years wrestling with their quirkiness - I now use the wrist computer, which I love, with a brass and glass spg. Much more dependable.
Mine has never failed. I have the D9--perhaps they've improved the link-up.

I have both D9 and Vyper air and neither (when paired properly - turn gas on with watch near transmitter) have failed during a dive. Ease of checking the data is great, regardless if you look every minute or ten. I would never go console again. The danger here is that once you go hoseless you never go back.........

I've been using an Oceanic Atom 2.0 wireless for open circuit dives - for about a year now (and recently got an OC-1, but am yet to dive it). I've put around 150 dives on the atom. I've had no problems with it.

If I'm doing a recreational dive (no deco) then I generally just use it for my pressure gauge, and no other gauge.

If I'm doing a deep dive with long decompression, I may attach a backup SPG as well.

Back
Top Bottom