Thoughts on Air Integrated (hoseless) computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I both like our wireless AI. She uses a Uwatec Galileo Sol and I use a Oceanic VT3. Neither have had any problems with signal loss or linking and having all of the info in one place on the wrist makes keeping track of the dive info convenient. I simply have to move my eyes down to see what I need to know. Good stuff!

I use and love my Suunto Cobra -- AI on hose with compass, on retractor clipped to BC. I laugh at the people here who don't use AI giving all the reasons AI/hose/hoesless is evil which just goes to prove they've never tried it. LOL!

I have my Cobra clipped with a retractor in such a way I can glance down and see the PSI at any time. At the safety stop I fold my arms with the Cobra out so I can watch it easily. The retractor also keeps it from hanging down to snag something or bang on the reef. I see too many SPG's hanging and banging the reef.

Accuracy? LOL, so you think a basic SPG which has marks every 100-200 PSI and, because of the old design, can become inaccurate by a simple hard drop, is more accurate than an electronic device that reads right down to 1 psi? Huh? You can estimate to the nearest 100 and I can read to the nears 1 psi. Which provides the best information? I like the digital AI.

I love the integration while diving and how it gives me information, and I love it after the dive for planning the next dive, and I love it when I get home and download the information, analyze my profile and SAC. The only think I might change is going to the wrist mount Vyper Air sometime to eliminate the hose and put it on my wrist, though I'm not convinced that having it on my arm is better so I haven't decided to change yet.

IMHO, it's a personal choice and there is no one right/best setup. The world goes 'round because we all have personal preferences and that's why all the manufacturers make several different devices. I like that I have many choices. Don't insult someone else's equipment choice, just give your likes of your equipment and let others make their choice.

Accuracy? LOL, so you think a basic SPG which has marks every 100-200 PSI and, because of the old design, can become inaccurate by a simple hard drop, is more accurate than an electronic device that reads right down to 1 psi? Huh? You can estimate to the nearest 100 and I can read to the nears 1 psi. Which provides the best information? I like the digital AI.
You have to distinguish between accuracy and precision. The ability of your AI computer to resolve small differences in pressure does not mean that it is more accurate, just more precise. Even if it is incorrectly calibrated, for example, it will display your pressure to the fourth significant figure, but it may be displaying a value far from the actual tank pressure.

I too have a Vyper Air and love it, so simple to use, figure on the left is air time remaining, figure on right is no deco time remaining, very simple to work out what to do when, recommended,

You have to distinguish between accuracy and precision. The ability of your AI computer to resolve small differences in pressure does not mean that it is more accurate, just more precise. Even if it is incorrectly calibrated, for example, it will display your pressure to the fourth significant figure, but it may be displaying a value far from the actual tank pressure.

I knew someone would make this point. Nice try. Yes, accuracy vs. precision is well understood.

Most SPG gauges have 5 marks between each 1000psi marking, and a few have just 3 marks between each 1000psi, so even if they have high precision you cannot determine your exact pressure with any true accuracy. Look here: Scuba Diving Gauges with reviews on sale

So, do you want to estimate your tank pressure to the nearest 100-250psi or do you want to READ 855psi?

Last edited:
I knew someone would make this point.
Yet you chose to ignore the distinction in your original post.
Nice try.
The only thing I was trying to do was clear up the ambiguity.
Yes, accuracy vs. precision is well understood.
Perhaps, but nobody reading your original post would know that.

I use and love my Suunto Cobra -- AI on hose with compass, on retractor clipped to BC. I laugh at the people here who don't use AI giving all the reasons AI/hose/hoesless is evil which just goes to prove they've never tried it. LOL!

I have my Cobra clipped with a retractor in such a way I can glance down and see the PSI at any time. At the safety stop I fold my arms with the Cobra out so I can watch it easily. The retractor also keeps it from hanging down to snag something or bang on the reef. I see too many SPG's hanging and banging the reef.

I love the integration while diving and how it gives me information, and I love it after the dive for planning the next dive, and I love it when I get home and download the information, analyze my profile and SAC. The only think I might change is going to the wrist mount Vyper Air sometime to eliminate the hose and put it on my wrist, though I'm not convinced that having it on my arm is better so I haven't decided to change yet.

IMHO, it's a personal choice and there is no one right/best setup. The world goes 'round because we all have personal preferences and that's why all the manufacturers make several different devices. I like that I have many choices. Don't insult someone else's equipment choice, just give your likes of your equipment and let others make their choice.

I use an old Oceanic console with a Prodigy, on a retractor like you, and Vyper on my right wrist. When I upgrade it will likely be to the Cobra 3 on a retractor. The hoseless design doesn't really save a hose as you need a backup SPG anyway. So the decision is really if you like wrist mount or console mount.

Adam

So, do you want to estimate your tank pressure to the nearest 100-250psi or do you want to READ 855psi?

Does this really matter that much? 855 or 800 or 775?

Do most divers say, "turn at 1200 psi" or "turn at 1000" sit and wait to the precise number comes up? Most people I know - turn the dive at or around 1000 psi, or whatever. Precision is nice, but that's not the reason I prefer the wireless AI computer. But that's just me.

The digital gauges have both better precision and accuracy, period. Most of those 2" gauges are 1%-5% while the button cells used in the digital gauges are less than 1%.

But as others have said, who really cares? If its within a 100 PSI who cares?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom