Thoughts on Dive Training Article?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drift diving refers to a technique used from non-buoyed/anchored boat, where the site permits divers to 'go with the flow' and the boat will follow them. In those circumstances, it is optimal for the boat to deploy a trail line, enabling the divers to order themselves whilst waiting to exit the water.

However, on geographically limited sites (wrecks, pinnacles) that experience high current, drift diving becomes inapplicable. In those circumstances the boat will remain anchored/buoyed. A boat may decide to deploy some form of line to enable divers to move, under control, from the ascent line to the ladder.

Pretty much every single boat I have been on has had ladders like this:

foldaway-telescopic-boats-ladders-br-platform-mount-195115.jpg

Why would a boat not use a ladder like this? It's much safer to keep your fins on until you are securely on the boat.

I don't like being in rough seas having to take my fins off and still stay in the ocean. And the other night we were being harrassed by a shark when about to climb the ladder back onto the boat and I am glad I did not have to be trying to take my fins off with a shark below me! Just BAM ran up the ladder and the others dragged me over the edge :)

I have only been on a handful of boats with the aforementioned latter. On most boats you will have to remove your fins prior to getting on the ladder or you will not be able to get on the boat, period. On my personal boat, I don't have that ladder either so I have to either keep the fins around my arm or throw them on the boat prior to using the ladder.

Knowing that most boats don't have the aforementioned latter, I always buy strapped fins so I can place them on my arm. I also do not like just giving away my fins when I still might need them. But if I had to pick between my fins or my hands...I'd pick my hands so I can get on the boat because I don't see any way at all to get on a dive boat without your hands.

Drift diving refers to a technique used from non-buoyed/anchored boat, where the site permits divers to 'go with the flow' and the boat will follow them. In those circumstances, it is optimal for the boat to deploy a trail line, enabling the divers to order themselves whilst waiting to exit the water.

However, on geographically limited sites (wrecks, pinnacles) that experience high current, drift diving becomes inapplicable. In those circumstances the boat will remain anchored/buoyed. A boat may decide to deploy some form of line to enable divers to move, under control, from the ascent line to the ladder.

I've always been on boats that deployed a line and it has always helped me in rough conditions. I even deploy a line on my personal boat and on a few occasions, it has prevented me from a long hard swim back to the boat. I figured it was an industry standard to always deploy a line at the aft of the boat, but apparently not.

I am sure this is true in most places. But on our deeper wrecks and pinnacles( we have them in Fort Pierce and Stuart) , no diver or scooter is fast enough or strong enough to swim against the current, or to use a line to come up....we drift off the dive site at dive end, as a group, and then surface around a floating/drifting ball or flag. The boat comes to us, as it has been following the flag.

It is actually so easy, I would be annoyed with the idea of having to be bothered by swimming back to an anchored boat--if there was a current--it just seems crazy to work when you don't have to :)

Regards,
DanV

However, on geographically limited sites (wrecks, pinnacles) that experience high current, drift diving becomes inapplicable.
Until the depth and current become too much, then you do a hot drop! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Like most things in diving... There isn't just one way. If you dive off of a boat with a nice "fin on" ladder

like this:

Standard_3_Removable.jpg

... then you can climb it with your fins on. Otherwise, you either need to pass them up, or wear them on your wrist. This isn't rocket science.

Exactly. Listen to the captain. They've helped thousands of people back onto their boat and probably know what works best on their boat and their conditions. One boat I use has very specific instructions for getting over the transom after you've come up with your fins on. Ignore it and think you know better and you'll almost fall over. (I speak from experience. :dork2: )

Exactly, do what they suggest. In rough seas, I will keep my fins on my wrists rather than pass them up, just in case I'm thrown back into the sea. It's never happened but I'm ready. That's the same reason I keep my regulator in my mouth until I'm safely on board.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom