Thoughts on double Hose experience dives for customers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff your posts are extremely helpful, as are all the others.

Looking at that setup you posted a picture of,

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/yaquinaguy/IMG_3350-2.jpg

the second stage with a snaps, is that for your use, in the event of _____? Is that inflator hose for a drysuit?

Assuming I use the Phoenix, or the Mossback, are they usable in a modern single tank setup in the way a Mistral seemingly is not?

And buoyancy questions..
With only wetsuits, I will have to trap a wing in the backplate. ScubaPro's plastic backplates have a nice two piece design which allows that easily, but they also sort of force a single tank to sit in a certain place because of the molding. Is that positioning going to be a problem?

In terms of setting up a phoenix, you can set up your kit with a 2nd stage, a BC inflator and dry suit inflator by virtue of the fact that being a 2 stage regulator, the regulator has intermediate pressure which can be utilized for those functions. The original mistral reduced pressure from tank pressure down to ambient pressure in a single step - thus having the other attachments are not possible. The only exception to this was for the SPG via the use of a "banjo" which is sandwiched between the nozzle and the tank valve.

Banjoupload.jpg

If it was the "New Mistral" that you were referring to, then set-up is pretty much okay with a single tank:

mistral_01.jpg

The issue with the new mistral was relative to using traditional twin tanks where the short IP hose might impinge on the proper placement of the regulator on the manifold.

One major thing that might impact this entire concept and affect your client's perceptions of double-hoses is the fact that DHs are very position sensitive. The distance between the diaphragm and the center of the lungs affects the ease of breathing. Thus, there are certain positions where it might be perceived harder to breathe from. In addition to this, the use of a regular BC might affect the regulator's position as well relative to the diver.

Beano -- I too was going to suggest the "New Mistral" which is designed to be used with modern equipment (BC/AAS/SPG) and thus just might reduce the liability issue a bit (assuming this is to be done in the Islands). I have one (and a DA Aquamaster without the Phoenix upgrade) and when set up correctly, it breathes OK.

I am actually thinking about bringing both of those to the pool for the last CW session of my current class just to let students see, and perhaps try, something different.

The "New Mistral" was possibly one of the stupidest regulator designs in recent history, the Pontiac Aztec of the regulator world. Breathed poorly, look like a garbage bin/home workshop effort and comparing it to a PRAM is like comparing the Aztec to a Vette.

There are enough differences in technique and operation and characteristics that I think tossing a "tourist" into a twin hose regulator with no training is a potential very bad thing.

They are not hard to dive but they are different.

N

My question was: How experienced are your test divers?

If they are very experienced and comfortable divers, use a Phoenix with a plastic plate or Freedom plate and harness. The positioning will be close to where it needs to be, and I can tell you from my experience, even with experienced divers (as was I) Double hosers have nuances that must be learned. As way more knowledgeable divers have stated above, learning to purge, share air, etc isn't something that is learned in a pool session. However, if it's a one time experience in a pool, I guess it would be OK.

If they are new divers, ditch this idea altogether. Most new first-time divers are just trying not to die underwater. Things like bouyancy, postioning will not be at the top of their list of skills. They will not enjoy the experience.

My 002psi

Last edited:
The "New Mistral" was possibly one of the stupidest regulator designs in recent history, the Pontiac Aztec of the regulator world. Breathed poorly, look like a garbage bin/home workshop effort and comparing it to a PRAM is like comparing the Aztec to a Vette.

There are enough differences in technique and operation and characteristics that I think tossing a "tourist" into a twin hose regulator with no training is a potential very bad thing.

They are not hard to dive but they are different.

N

Hey N, did you dive one of those New Mistrals? I've never seen one up close and personal. Not interested in owning one either, but a shop owner (not my LDS) said he had them at one time years ago, and didn't sell one.

(I know somebody with an Aztec...and yea, they are the fugliest)

Lisa

Hey N, did you dive one of those New Mistrals? I've never seen one up close and personal. Not interested in owning one either, but a shop owner (not my LDS) said he had them at one time years ago, and didn't sell one.

(I know somebody with an Aztec...and yea, they are the fugliest)

Lisa

Yes.

N

Several times at the end of an open water course, I have broken out a doublehose for students to try in the pool. Always has been a positive experience.

The only good thing I can say about the new mistral is that I made about $200 when I sold mine:)

It seems like many companies have had flops in the past.
The Edsel, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztec, Mares Hub, Aqualung "new" mistral, Raider III light,
The list goes on.

Back
Top Bottom