Three dead and one in recompression chamber in Italy, Tuscany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another test will be conducted trying to reproduce the conditions on the day of the accident with both compressors mounted on the boat.

I thought someone said earlier in the thread that the tanks were not filled on the boat, but by another op, the day of the incident?

---------- Post added September 13th, 2014 at 04:30 PM ----------

Are these compressors electrical or driven by a combustion engine?

If they were filled on the boat... the boat is no-doubt powered by a combustion engine. If the compressor intake was sucking boat exhaust - or from an area where an engine or generator was running maybe with a leak or bad seal - it could be pulling CO.

That was an interesting new tidbit:

From : Hopcalite/Monoxycon 900g bottle - The Dive Doctor Ltd

How common is the usage of monoxycon in the dive industry?
Sent from MiPad

It should be routine, but quality filters are expensive. Both my primary and secondary filters have monoxycon and they are from Lawrence Factor - $$$$$$... but if I want to play, I'd rather pay and have the best (or better not play).

Sub morti, assolti i compressori Prova dell'errore di ricarica delle bombole

In this article they talk about the tests done in a more reasonable way, instead of saying the cylinders were filled near the compressor they say the intake was positioned near the compressors engine exhaust.

The tests have been conduct for an extended period of time to check if the compressors were running hot.

Still a lot of unknown variables...

---------- Post added September 16th, 2014 at 09:23 PM ----------

Sub morti, le bombole ricaricate sul molo vicino ad un parcheggio | Giornale dell'Umbria

The story goes on... this article writes something i had only heard by others, it appears the cylinders have been filled on the dock near a parking lot. In this article it also says the compressors are one portable (which was on the boat) and one fixed at the diving. The diving owner stated that 3 or 4 cylinders have been partly refilled on the boat.

This is definetly bad news, I have dove off Italy a few times and the Italians are very critical about air quality and keeping there gear in top notch condition they have a long strong history in diving. I hope this was not the result of a compressor pumping out bad air. Im sure the Italian authorities will do a excellent job in tracking down the cause of this accident.

This is definetly bad news, I have dove off Italy a few times and the Italians are very critical about air quality and keeping there gear in top notch condition they have a long strong history in diving. I hope this was not the result of a compressor pumping out bad air. Im sure the Italian authorities will do a excellent job in tracking down the cause of this accident.
It kinda had to be a compressor pumping toxic air. Many good operators make mistakes, and it only takes one. I get bored testing my tanks until I get a toxic one every now and then.

The investigation phase is pretty much closed. This is the conclusive part of the exper assessment requested by the prosecutor on the diving shop operations and tank filling.
Sub morti, la perizia: «Operazioni di ricarica assolutamente incompatibili con la sicurezza e filtri disastrosi» | Umbria24.it

The findings where that the old compressors were not properly maintained and had bad filters. In addition the compressor air intake was not placed according to manufacturer instructions and was getting the exhaust of the compressor engine into the tanks.

Levels of CO where high in multiple tanks, so there was really risk of higher casualty numbers.
Also, the diving operators were not qualified to operate a filling station (I am Italian and I am not aware of a legal requirement to get any kind of certification to operate an air compressor but in a case like this .... it would help to show you have received formal training, and IMHO, might also have saved lives). Another point is that one of the employee was not legally employed by the diving operator.

Based on all of this the prosecutor requested immediate judgement (a way to obtain a quick trial) for manslaughter.
The Judge for the prelimary phase rejected the request because it was beyond terms (90 days) by 2 days.

I believe this closes the why and becomes a legal issue.
Additional on the trial on different forum.

Fabio

Good info, lets hope justice is served.
As you were taught during open water training "don't hold your breath" on that one.

Back
Top Bottom