Three dead and one in recompression chamber in Italy, Tuscany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a CO tester in line when my tanks are filled by my buddy and he sends gas off to be tested twice a year just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a CO tester in line when my tanks are filled by my buddy and he sends gas off to be tested twice a year just to be sure.

The problem with the bi-annual tests is that when a problem is found, you have no idea how long the problem has existed. Depending on the exact nature of the problem that could result in draining, and tumbling all bank bottles and every customer tank filled since the last passing test.

The problem with the bi-annual tests is that when a problem is found, you have no idea how long the problem has existed. Depending on the exact nature of the problem that could result in draining, and tumbling all bank bottles and every customer tank filled since the last passing test.

I suppose that's where the inline tester comes in? That's in use while the tanks are being filled.

I suppose that's where the inline tester comes in? That's in use while the tanks are being filled.

Does he verify sensor functionality periodically with a calibration gas?

Smart business owner, and encouraging for the divers. I'd still test every tank myself as such setups have failed.

Sub morti, monossido anche dai compressori - Cronaca - il Tirreno

Latest about the compressor test is that they found 10 and 20 parts per million coming out of the two compressors. Nothing near the 1600-2400 they had in the cylinders, but still high.
Another test will be conducted trying to reproduce the conditions on the day of the accident with both compressors mounted on the boat.

Sub morti, monossido anche dai compressori - Cronaca - il Tirreno

Latest about the compressor test is that they found 10 and 20 parts per million coming out of the two compressors. Nothing near the 1600-2400 they had in the cylinders, but still high.
Another test will be conducted trying to reproduce the conditions on the day of the accident with both compressors mounted on the boat.
The problem with many tests is that they are not run when the compressor is at it hottest working temperature and conditions.

Still too high.
Yep, if a compressor will allow 10-20 ppm, even 3 ppm, you got to wonder what else is being allowed to enter the tanks?

I am lost.

The article says:

"Cosa è accaduto allora? L’ingegner Giorgio Chimenti, consulente del pm Pizza, ha effettuato un ulteriore esperimento. Ha preso il compressore del 1997 e ha caricato due bombole: la prima con modalità “corretta”, tenendo lontano il macchinario dalla bombola; la seconda avvicinando il compressore alla bombola. Quale il risultato?"

Basically, two further tests were run by
ingegner Giorgio Chimenti:

1. Test A: the SCUBA cylinder was kept away from the compressor.
2. Test B: the SCUBA cylinder was kept close to the compressor.

That is what the newspaper article says, but to me whether you keep the SCUBA tank cm. 10 from the compressor or 2 meters from the compressor should make no difference (provided in either case the ventilation/cooling fan/vent is not blocked).

Are these compressors electrical or driven by a combustion engine?

If the latter maybe what the journalist is trying to say is that the air intake of the compressor in one test was close to the compressor exhaust and in the other test was far away from the compressor exhaust?

Hypotheses, not fact, if the compressors are run by a combustion engine it could explain (CO entered from the air intake due to wind shift and intake too close to compressor engine exhaust???) why only in a handful of tanks there was massive amount of CO (" 1.600, 2.150 e 2.400"), but in most other tanks there were only traces of CO, according to the article.

Either way, if the compressor filter had Monoxycon as the better quality filters do, then this incident could have been averted (provided the filter was functional) even without testing for CO each individual tank (still better thing to do as a matter of course).

That was an interesting new tidbit:
Monoxycon™ (Mo-nox-ee-con) - Where Carbon Monoxide is concerned, Monoxycon™ is the solution. At levels up to 300 ppm, this media will convert "deadly" carbon monoxide to less harmful Carbon Dioxide. A brownish / black, granular substance which is a manganese dioxide based catalyst that oxidizes carbon monoxide in diving air to the more tolerable carbon dioxide.    Use Hopcalite/Monoxycon whenever: (A) The quality of your intake air is questionable...in metropolitan / industrial areas etc.; or (B) the compressor operating conditions are marginal causing it to run hot or pump for very extended periods.NOTE: Hopcalite is inactivated by moisture, so it must always be placed after the dessicant in the filtration train, but before the cargon.  Carbon Monoxide is not removed by activated carbon air filters. 

From : www.divedoctor.co.nz/compressor-parts-supplies/154-felt-pads.html

How common is the usage of monoxycon in the dive industry?
Sent from MiPad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom