Time change (not)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With November just around the corner and the time reverting back from Daylight saving time in the US there will probably be some confusion as to the time in Cozumel this coming high season.

Beginning in February 2015 Mexican state of Quintana Roo (including Cozumel) no longer changes the local time to conform to 'Daylight savings time'. Throughout the year it remains at GMT -5.

This means that:
From Sunday March 6 2015 through Saturday October 31 2015, the local Cozumel time will match US Central time.

From Sunday November 1 2015 through Saturday March 12 2016, the local Cozumel time will match US Eastern time.

Last year I believe I heard that this was to help promote tourist activities by causing the Sunset to be an hour later. If you have a dive OP that runs an 8AM boat it will be leaving a little more than ½ hour after sunrise (around 07:27 in mid January). Personally I like early morning dives but it may come as a shock to others to be getting up in the dark on vacation. :D

If the first post is still unclear, when you get to Cozumel just ask what time it is. Verify and triple check and you have the local time which is all that matters

The big problem last year was that cell phones and computers did not change to local time. Cell companies based in Merida did not change the local times in Quintana Roo.

Cell phone issues are addressed by setting time zone to Bogata, Colombia, which like Cozumel remains on Eastern Standard Time year-round.Check Eastern STANDARD Time, and you've found Cozumel Time. Easy peasy.

Cell phone issues are addressed by setting time zone to Bogata, Colombia, which like Cozumel remains on Eastern Standard Time year-round.Check Eastern STANDARD Time, and you've found Cozumel Time. Easy peasy.
Or use Manual time settings instead of Automatic.

Mmm, breakfast before sunup. Bring back cowboy memories, that I am too old for - but will do it during harvest here anyway.

Or just leave the cell phone at home and set your watch when you hit the airport. KISS.

Or just leave the cell phone at home and set your watch when you hit the airport. KISS.
I may as well have last trip. I added an option to my Verizon plan so I could use it for free for some number of minutes in Mexico, as they can be handy - but my phone never did work. I called the company on Skype, but their computer blocks internet calls. I tried to log into my account online, but that was blocked from Mexico. There was a number I could call, but the luck I was having - I figured it'd cost me and be a waste of time. Spype worked for other needs.

My daughter's phone worked fine in Jamaica, Caymans, and Coz...??

I'm a Hoosier that would like our state to go back to not observing DST (think it's been about 8 or 9 yrs.) "Spring forward" and "fall back" an hour!!! Change the times on the microwave, stove, radio, wall clocks, autos (while trying to drive), etc...... Whew! Wears me out 2 times a year!

One of the first things I do when I check into my hotel on Cozumel is to perform the ritual Removal Of The Watch. I use the clock in the room to make sure I don't miss the dive boat, but apart from that I don't care what time it is.

Back
Top Bottom