Time to open the Solo Forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the way it has been lately I'm for letting in meaningless posts, just to keep it from looking like a ghost town. I'm with Akimbo, it seems like there more threads about solo off the solo board.

I didn't know our posts could not be read by others, may be that's why it is so quiet. Or it's now so mainstream (PADI cert) that it is back to no one caring much whether anyone solos or not.

Bob
------------------------------
The most important thing to plan when solo diving is to make sure that you are not diving with an idiot. Dsix36

Not exactly sure I understand your reservation.

... if not do not start meaningless posts just to top post...

Like the DIR forum, they would still have to be a Solo forum member to post. The only change is anyone could read the posts made by members.

To me one of the benefits of solo diving is the lack of human noise around me. Fits that the "solo diver" forum be quiet. I don't think of it as ghost town is more like peaceful town.

Just me, I know, that's why I stop myself from posting in the general forums. I get annoyed with the "Am I allow to do this or that when I solo dive?" (in my head every time I open a post with that type of question it has a very nasal sound effect) I mean really? ....there should be an exception on the TOS for these type of questions.

I love to hear what others use and why, or what procedures they follow when they dive solo, but asking for permission to internet users to perform an activity that is inherently independent is just oxymoronic, the answer should be always NO, you are not allowed, if you ask is not for you.

Not sure if it was here or rec-scuba that I learned years ago how one can self-zippered a back entry dry suit without any help. Love that type of posts... but lately all I read is how to pile on more gear and get more certifications.

Last edited:
So does the Solo Forum have an official moderator? Who would make the decision to change the format?

It doesn't even show up in the "New Post" list if you are not a member. I would be surprised if most new members were even aware of the option.

Ana

Do you really think it would change much? Anyone can join this forum just by asking. I am "guessing" that idiots and trolls can have the privileges/membership revoked here and the DIR forum... someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

There are divers that are hostile to the DIR concepts and I don't read out-of-line posts there, even though I'm not a member or have posting privileges.

Ana

Do you really think it would change much? Anyone can join this forum just by asking. I am “guessing” that idiots and trolls can have the privileges/membership revoked here and the DIR forum… someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

There are divers that are hostile to the DIR concepts and I don’t read out-of-line posts there, even though I’m not a member or have posting privileges.

I'm not sure how much it will change, you are correct as far as only having to ask to join, but maybe that small step is enough to keep the judgmental and trolling posts at bay.

Then again, I'm not familiar with the current dynamics at the DIR area.

Thought the idea of solo was just that, if they are interested in solo they can join as I did, if not do not start meaningless posts just to top post...

How does one go about joining??......I haven't had a dive buddy in over 7 or 8 years now---solo is the way I fly now(unless my wife wants to make a dive.:)).....

EDIT:...my post just showed up......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Guys, I think the whole solo thing is changing pretty fast around us. I know we're all glad about that. The idiots that hang on to the old ways will be with us for a while, but we should be use to countering their arguments by now. I think it may be time to just open it up. Truth is we really don't have much to say to each other, as we've been doing this so long that boring talking about it.

My point is that solo diving is no big deal any more. Most people are doing it, most instructors aren't tabooing it any more, and many agencies are teaching it. Time to move on.

I'm not sure how much it will change, you are correct as far as only having to ask to join, but maybe that small step is enough to keep the judgmental and trolling posts at bay...

That small step would still be required to post here, just like in the DIR forum. It is only a question if non-members can read Solo member posts or not... unless I misunderstand the dynamics of how Scubaboard permissions work.

Back
Top Bottom