Time To Pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No time at all. Gear lives on the boat.Gets rinsed off at the dock. Regulator soaks in a bucket of fresh water during return to the dock.

Checklist which also includes the weight of individual item.
I fly budget airline most of the time. As the weight allowance is rather small so I have to be careful.
The bag is packed days before if not week(big trip). Nothing beat scuba trip nowadays.
I do not dive locally so equipment cleaning is usually carried out at the overseas resort. However, if it is on liveaboard then I would have to wash everything again back home.

I need to pack lighter obviously...

If its a 2 tank dive then an hour maybe two if my wife is diving

For our monthly 2 day trips - forever. In the week both scooters have their batteries charged, as do cameras and lights - teh save a dive box gets checked even though its unlikely to have been opened since last time
8 tanks each to check mix and label, plus two side slung tanks each to do the same too.

Pull out all the gear check and pack - put the wife's gear out for her to check and pack.

At lunch time on the day of departure load the 20 tanks - packed in such a way that some beers can be hidden (not allowed to take alcohol across boarders) and then the rest of the kit. Bear in mind generally the temperature will be over 100 degrees when packing and then off.

On return the tanks stay in the truck to go to the LDS (who unload and load ) gear left overnight in two wash tanks to hang out the next evening and where it stays until the next weekend

I dive from 3x/week to once in 3 weeks. For a single dive or a long weekend it takes about 30 mins to pack gear, get it in the car and go. My daughter and I both have backpacks solely for diving; these always have items such as o-rings, spare mouthpiece, some zip ties, powder, spare flashlight, extra undergloves, extra socks. Mine has a spare computer too. Basically I only need to collect the stuff that is set out to dry or air after a dive. I generally keep spare weights, weight belts, some wrenches and my fins in the car, removing that stuff only for (non-diving) trips 2-3x a year. One credit card slot in my change purse has some o-rings in it too. I keep my tanks filled and canister lamp batteries charged.

I do make a list and spend some time planning before packing to get on an airplane to go diving.

Laziness: We did spend a quarry dive several weeks ago showing some folks how to use reels. I still have 3 reels in the kitchen waiting for me to take them outside, spread the line out and reel it in properly :-D
There's always "tomorrow"...

Last edited:
All the equipment for all 4 members of my family is hung up and in drawers in a small area of our house in Florida. It takes 5 minutes for me to pack a dive bag for a boat trip.

No time at all. Gear lives on the boat.Gets rinsed off at the dock. Regulator soaks in a bucket of fresh water during return to the dock.
I'm jelous

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 09:24 PM ----------

I dive from 3x/week to once in 3 weeks. For a single dive or a long weekend it takes about 30 mins to pack gear, get it in the car and go. My daughter and I both have backpacks solely for diving; these always have items such as o-rings, spare mouthpiece, some zip ties, powder, spare flashlight, extra undergloves, extra socks. Mine has a spare computer too. Basically I only need to collect the stuff that is set out to dry or air after a dive. I generally keep spare weights, weight belts, some wrenches and my fins in the car, removing that stuff only for (non-diving) trips 2-3x a year. One credit card slot in my change purse has some o-rings in it too. I keep my tanks filled and canister lamp batteries charged.

I do make a list and spend some time planning before packing to get on an airplane to go diving.

Laziness: We did spend a quarry dive several weeks ago showing some folks how to use reels. I still have 3 reels in the kitchen waiting for me to take them outside, spread the line out and reel it in properly :-D
There's always "tomorrow"...
BTW coolest mom ever.
I can't get my gf to even put a mask on. And hopefully our son will take after dad! In like 10 ish more years. He's only 1.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

maybe 45m -1 hr if I haven't been diving that week and everything is hung up but if diving next day then it all stays in the luggage with a quick once over before leaving.
Tend to pack up the car the night before so all I have to do is put on pants in the morning. I'm jealous of the shed and the boat - been thinking on how best to convert part of the garage or basement
to store everything nicely.

Hello OP,

If I am in a hurry, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Tanks, sinkers, neoprene and all.

With the exception of tanks, sinkers, regulators, and computers, most of my dive gear resides in a tote bin. The wetsuits hang in the same closet and my regulator/computer bag is placed on top of the tote. The tanks and sinkers are in the garage next to my car.

I drag my tote bin, wetsuits, and regulator bag to the car, load tanks and sinkers, and then throw the rest in.

Done!

The last two times I went diving, I built my kit at home, and was ready to strap on my BC when I got to the dive site. No onsite assembly. It was a slick move.

markm

The jist of it seems to be to keep the stuff you're normally using together in basically the same spot. Hard to forget anything that way.

A really big factor seems to be how often you dive. I've stood around watching amazingly experienced people almost have to get a pen and paper to remember what they need and whether they have it yet or not. This is what happens if you start diving only 5-10x a year.
Most replies in this forum will be from people who love to dive so you will get more who try to never UN-pack.
Like my brother who used to take rods and live bait to work every single summer day just in case he heard the fish were really biting :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom