Timex Atlantis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dotyj

Contributor
Reaction score
Are Timex Atlantis watches any good?

I need a new watch and figure I should get one that can be used for scuba diving.

I may be a cheap skate though. I can't afford a computer so a watch and RDP are what I intend to use.

I wear a Casio Tri-Graph but I've had it for 11 years and the buttons just don't work very well anymore.

Any thoughts?

Forget I asked. I just did some more research.

Why would a company build a watch that can go down deeper than most people ever would without scuba gear, call it Atlantis 100 then say it isn't suitable for diving?

Weird.

My dive shop sells good diving watches...I'll have to go in and check the brand name again, but it might be Billet I think. Digital displas, and actually rated for depths :)

Timex *does* make a "true" dive watch. It's called the Helix D_M. Here's the link: http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148476516

These cost only $130 and have a ton of cool features. If I wanted a "true" dive watch I would buy one of these over the ridiculously priced Citizen watches that have less features.

I dive with a Timex Reefgear watch. I primarily use it for a timer. It is rated to 100m but also says "not to be used for scuba diving" in the manual. I have taken this watch on >30 dives and have had no trouble.

Personally, I don't think this disclaimer is meant for waterproof problems. I think it is meant for liability reasons.

Thx...Doug

Hi Doug:

Boy did I mess this reply up.

That's all I really want the watch for anyway, as a timer.

I don't have a computer "Yet" and frankly probably won't for a while yet. Heck, I've only had one pool session anyway and have lots of training left to do before I start spending a lot of money on gear.

I like the looks of the Atlantis 100 so I bought it anyway. I needed a new watch. My old Casio Tri-Graph 200 meter watch is really worn out after 11 years of use. The buttons were shot. I couldn't access any of the features anymore and can't even adjust the time anymore.

The Atlantis 100 has really nice buttons on it with big button caps. The Indiglo display is really nice too.

I likely won't be doing anything that will damage the watch since I don't ever plan to dive to 50 meters. I just wanted something that I could use as a watch when I'm dry and a timer when I'm wet.

I've looked at Timex's divers watch. Looks pretty nice. I'm considering buying one.

dgangi once bubbled...
Timex *does* make a "true" dive watch. It's called the Helix D_M. Here's the link: http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148476516

These cost only $130 and have a ton of cool features. If I wanted a "true" dive watch I would buy one of these over the ridiculously priced Citizen watches that have less features.

I dive with a Timex Reefgear watch. I primarily use it for a timer. It is rated to 100m but also says "not to be used for scuba diving" in the manual. I have taken this watch on >30 dives and have had no trouble.

Yeah 50 meters. Not a great depth rating but I doubt I'll still be using it when I consider diving deeper than 60 feet or so.

I'm really considering the Timex divers watch.

I did chat with a diver who does use the Atlantis 100. He really likes it for monitoring his bottom time. He's had his down to 100 feet. I doubt the watch will hold up long though.

is a good watch for the money.

Mine is 5 years old and been to 150 ft repeatedly

Mike D

Just got the Timex Helix D_M watch. I got it off of Ebay for only $75 new. It is a great watch and is rated to 165 feet. Has some great features and I will post after my next dive to let any one interested know what I think.

It doesn't have as many features as the Citizen Aqualand watches do but then again it is almost $250 cheaper and if it's as good as some Timex watches I have had in the past I think I will be very happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom