Timex Helix review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcsean:
I still want to know how deep someone has taken one of these. Just bought one for a backup bottom timer and am hoping it won't implode at depth.

I've had mine for two years, had it down to 120+ several times, no problem. My only complaint is that the band is too short for use with thick gloves.

BTW: Timex has stopped making this model, although they still make other Helixes. Look around for deals.

MgicTwnger:
I've had mine for two years, had it down to 120+ several times, no problem. My only complaint is that the band is too short for use with thick gloves.

You might try a diving watch band extender....internet or LDS carry them. I agree thought they are a bit short for thicker suits.

I think someone in Timex's marketing department really blew this one !!!
From the response I've seen on this board, and the fact that I purchased 2 before they were all bought up, Timex could have made a sizeable impact in the dive watch market with this product had they placed their advertising monies for it in the right areas.
Perhaps, if the demand and e-mails pick up, we may see this product offered again.

bcsean:
I still want to know how deep someone has taken one of these. Just bought one for a backup bottom timer and am hoping it won't implode at depth.

108 feet (33 meters) - and it's still working. <g>

texdiveguy:
MgicTwnger:

You might try a diving watch band extender....internet or LDS carry them. I agree thought they are a bit short for thicker suits.
I've rigged one up with a velcro band, works fine.

I bought 3 today at wally world for 20$ apiece

Have had the helix for a while no, and I haven't had any problems with it. Temperatures of 46-55F, and depth of 130ft and it has been accurate. I don't lke the fact that the crown is so touchy.. when I am dive chrono I sometimes hit the button and then I end up with a bunch of splits I didn't want. Also, last week the watch reset on me..... other then that it's a great watch and you can hear the beeping underwater.. but it's not very loud at all.. the screen flashes too if you don't notice the sound...

Firediver:
other then that it's a great watch and you can hear the beeping underwater.. but it's not very loud at all.. the screen flashes too if you don't notice the sound...
Cool. That's exactly what I was wanting to know. I read in the manual that rab posted that the watch had a dive alarm but was still not sure if it was loud enough.
Thanks for the reveiw Fire.
Later,
Stitch

MgicTwnger:

BTW: Timex has stopped making this model, although they still make other Helixes. Look around for deals.

I've read the posts about this watch with great interest. You say Timex stopped making this particular model, but maybe I can find some online or in stores like Campmor. Would you be so kind and tell me specifically the Helix model or model number? Thank you!

The Kraken:
I think someone in Timex's marketing department really blew this one !!!
From the response I've seen on this board, and the fact that I purchased 2 before they were all bought up, Timex could have made a sizeable impact in the dive watch market with this product had they placed their advertising monies for it in the right areas.
Perhaps, if the demand and e-mails pick up, we may see this product offered again.
Well, just for kicks and grins and I sent this info on to Timex, not expecting anything.. but who knows. :) I did get a very nice personal email back saying they were interested in hearing about this the info had been kicked up the line. So anyone else can feel free to lay some pressure for Timex to get on the ball. :) And... we'll just keep our eyes open and see what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom