Timex Helix review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more satisfied user checking in. I have been diving one using it as primary timer, and secondary depth. Band is a pain (mods required to where with my 7mm wetsuit, but otherwise works well.

Rob

I would encourage you all to let Timex know what you're thinking... it just takes a quick email.... :)

Amy,
Maybe you and I could purchase the manufacturing rights to this little item and go into business for ourselves !?!?!?!?!?

Hello again all! I have some questions on the best way to use this watch and how to make sense of the readings it gives.

I got the watch and took it to the lake yesterday for my Open Water Exam. I wore it over the wrist of my dry suit on a 33F degree day in Pennsylvania. Brrr, but I passed, yay! I basically turned the dial to Dive Chrono and didn't look at it again until the end of day. Later, when I opened the pin and turned it to Recall, the first three messages made sense: Total Dive Time, Total Surface Time, then Segment 1: Maximum Depth and the time at that depth (30 feet, time: 40.49.77). Thereafter, nothing seemed to compute. The next segment recorded a surface time of 5.32.95. Is that just 5 minutes, 32 seconds? We took a break for about 30 minutes before going into the next dive. The remaining segments went up to number 10, which made sense since we descended and ascending several from a platform about 30 feet below. However the times didn't seem to correspond to when we were down there, or on the surface, and there was no further depth recorded either. For example, Seg. #3 says 0ft, then the number 1.43.97. Our next dive after the surface internal was about 25 minutes, so I have no idea what that number 1.43.97 means! Since we were descending to the same depth each time, is that why the feet registered zero at each segment? Also, the watch never recorded the temperature of the water. I'm usually not such a klutz with technology, but both diving and the watch are new to me. Should I just use Track Dive for each dive? Or at the surface do I make sure to press stop or start split? Any suggestions and explanations are very welcome!

The Kraken:
Amy,
Maybe you and I could purchase the manufacturing rights to this little item and go into business for ourselves !?!?!?!?!?
:eyebrow:

CatBlue:
$35 on ebay? Alas, not so much. I just took a look and out of the 2117 watches listed under Timex on ebay there were only four Timex DM watches. They are all listed at $48.99 and $49.49 (3 were by one seller who listed them all at the same starting price). Still good prices, especially since it is so hard to find.

I've got 4 of these watches available for $36.50 ea (shipped inside the US) (If the address is GA, then tax will be added). I may be able to get more as well. Send me a PM if interested. I'll probably post them on eBay in the next few days.

The watch doesn't do well in cold water diving. The coldest I have had it was 30F on February 4th 2005. I was diving the bay of fundy. When I got out of the water, I got a low battery warning, so I changed it back to the time and couldn't change to any other mode. I allowed the watch to warm up, and it started reading temperatures of 110-117F in the dive track, and Dive Chrono mode. About 3h after the dive the Low battery warning went away, the temperature readings corrected, but now the watch no longer lights up. I have been trying, but the back light won't come on.

So if your looking to purchase a Timex Helix Dive watch, I don't recommend it for very cold water diving.. anything less then 48F.

PS, It still timed the dive, and kept track of my max depth.

Firediver:
So if your looking to purchase a Timex Helix Dive watch, I don't recommend it for very cold water diving.. anything less then 48F.
I've had mine in 42F a few times, no problems.

Walmart now has Timex Helix watches available for $20 - I picked up two for that price. I found mine on their cheap watch shelves, not in their Timex watch case. I like them for lap swimming and now carry one in my dive bag as a back-up bottom timer.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom