Timex Helix review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the batterys replaceable without destroying the watertight seal? Or are these a throwaway when the battery goes?

califdiver1:
Are the batterys replaceable without destroying the watertight seal? Or are these a throwaway when the battery goes?
I've replaced mine, no problem.

Just for comic relief for youse guys with the diving version. I bought a different Helix that did claim to be good to XXX depth. I used it once snorkeling and it filled with water, blanked out and only recovered partial functions after I let it dry slowly. Night light, for example, did not work. Moral of story - be sure to get the Underwater version if you plan to take it under water.

I noticed something weird in the manual. It says there that to avoid breaking any seal in the watch, avoid pressing any buttons while underwater. But how can you record splits without pressing the split button? Weird, no? :)

CatBlue:
I've read the posts about this watch with great interest. You say Timex stopped making this particular model, but maybe I can find some online or in stores like Campmor. Would you be so kind and tell me specifically the Helix model or model number? Thank you!
Checking my watch as we speak. The only numbers /letters/wording I see are Timex Helix DM Depth. I recently purchased another one at Walmart for 20.00. I had asked th jewelry dpartment about them and they looked at me a bit crosseyed and didn't know what I was referring to. I happened to stumble on them on a rack near a register as I was leaving. Good luck, and again as others have posted, you may find the strap a bit too short, but for $20.00, you can take the chance and modify it.
Bob

You'll know if you're buying the right watch if you look on the back of the watch. If it says "depth", then that's the one you want. In the manual, it is referred to as DM.

I bought mine yesterday for around $30 from a timex store. I'm going to take it down 80' on thursday. But reading the manual, i still don't know which mode to use: chrono or track.

I'll be doing two dives this thursday. Which mode should I choose if I want to record the first dive, the surface interval, then the second dive? Then I want to recall the info on both dives so i could write them down on my dive log. Can the watch do that?

yomar:
I noticed something weird in the manual. It says there that to avoid breaking any seal in the watch, avoid pressing any buttons while underwater. But how can you record splits without pressing the split button? Weird, no? :)
I've been pressing buttons underwater on mine for 3+ years with no problem. However the metal faceplate has fallen off and I have replaced the band with a bungee cord, so it looks like hell but still works.

MgicTwnger:
I've been pressing buttons underwater on mine for 3+ years with no problem. However the metal faceplate has fallen off and I have replaced the band with a bungee cord, so it looks like hell but still works.
haha, my faceplate fell off as well! After a crappy glue job to replace it, it looks as good as ........well it still works fine!:D

freediver:
haha, my faceplate fell off as well! After a crappy glue job to replace it, it looks as good as ........well it still works fine!:D
If a guy with a real expensive dive watch makes a wisecrack about my beat-up Timex, I just tell him what an old diver told me once: "Ten dollars or ten thousand, they all end up as rusty little pieces of #$%^ strapped to your wrist."
I know I won't cry if I loose or break my Timex.:05:

It is a darn easy to replace the battery. I put some grease on the seal. Mine has been flooded at 110ft once. It kept showing "err" on the depth and temp. I open up and dried it. I recheked all function at 90 ft again. It is back to normal. I know it sounds a little bit odd, but it is my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom