Timex Helix review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Helix DM faceplate came off somewhere underwater, and I never did find it. Yeah, looks pretty crappy that way, doesn't it?

Works fine, though... good to hear about the buttons, though I avoid pressing them underwater just in case.

And I've replaced the batteries in three of our family's Helix's... four tiny screws, and a very thin o-ring. Have to be careful when doing it, but no leaks so far.

I hope my helix doesn't flood and its faceplate to come off. Can't wait to get it wet.
So how about my query? Is it possible to record two dives plus the surface interval time with my helix? I didn't understand the manual when it explained the dive track/chrono mode.

yomar:
I hope my helix doesn't flood and its faceplate to come off. Can't wait to get it wet.
So how about my query? Is it possible to record two dives plus the surface interval time with my helix? I didn't understand the manual when it explained the dive track/chrono mode.
I could never figure out that manual, either. I just use it in chronometer mode.

yomar:
MgicTwnger:
I could never figure out that manual, either. I just use it in chronometer mode.
Hmmm... I can't figure out that weird manual totally either. But I just use mine in Dive Track mode.

Why? Well, I use the watch only as a back-up to my computer, and only need bottom time and current depth. I figure Dive Chrono mode is to somehow record split times, which I don't need... so I don't use that mode. Dive Chrono would probably work just as well for my purposes, though...

Reading through the goofy manual, it does look as if you could treat a surface interval as just another dive segment under Dive Chrono mode... at zero depth... then recall all of the segments like it says just before the dire "Do not eat watch" warning.

--Marek

Marek K:
Reading through the goofy manual, it does look as if you could treat a surface interval as just another dive segment under Dive Chrono mode... at zero depth... then recall all of the segments like it says just before the dire "Do not eat watch" warning.

--Marek

This is a good idea.. thanks! But then again, isn't the RECALL function available only when you record splits? The way i understand it, the SEGMENTS are just "moments" within one dive. For example, you dive and then you see a shark. You press the SPLIT button to record the depth, duration and time when you saw the shark. You surface and then RECALL that "moment."

yomar:
This is a good idea.. thanks! But then again, isn't the RECALL function available only when you record splits? The way i understand it, the SEGMENTS are just "moments" within one dive. For example, you dive and then you see a shark. You press the SPLIT button to record the depth, duration and time when you saw the shark. You surface and then RECALL that "moment."

I am using only "Dive Chrono" mode. Yes, you can record your two dives and two serface intervals in "Dive Chrono Mode"

Yes, you can create "the Segments" by pusing button manually. When you ended up the diving, it is automatically create the segments as a diving or surface interval.

It works very well, but you should be careful not to push any button during the diving and serface interval in order to get the exact data. I have used it as a back up with Suunto wrist computer. It gives the exact same data.

hoosier:
Yes, you can create "the Segments" by pusing button manually. When you ended up the diving, it is automatically create the segments as a diving or surface interval.

Oh, ok now I understand. The watch automatically creates one segment when I surface. It then records the time during the surface interval, then when I submerge again, the surface interval is recorded as segment 2 then starts recording my second dive, to make as segment 3. Is that correct?

If this is how the helix works, then it is everything I need to log my dives at the end of the day. :)

yomar:
Oh, ok now I understand. The watch automatically creates one segment when I surface. It then records the time during the surface interval, then when I submerge again, the surface interval is recorded as segment 2 then starts recording my second dive, to make as segment 3. Is that correct?

If this is how the helix works, then it is everything I need to log my dives at the end of the day. :)

Yes.... I bought two watches, actually my buddy, GF, is using this watch as a dive computer.... I Know I know, I have to buy another decent one for her with my money:06:

haha better start saving up, hoosier. :wink: Thanks for the help guys!

Has anyone seen the Helix DM available anywhere? I looked at several Wal-Marts a few months ago, but no luck. I also found an online timex store that had them for about $90. I'd like to do better thatn that :)

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom