Tip du jour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you guys are now splitting hairs!

My understanding is that much of it (in the North sea at least) has been churned up from the bottom by the current and by storms and is very slowly returning to where its came from.

The important thing, I believe, is that the diver should use a visual reference rather than being "mesmerised" by his computer/depth guage, which I think we all agree is worse than useless in holding a stop depth and controlling slow ascent rates.

For those unfortunate souls who have no visible "stuff" as a reference there is, of course, the reel or the reel line!

I have not tried knots but I have marked my stop depths on my (white) reel line in black indelible ink in the confident anticipation that one day the visibility in the North Sea will be 200 feet.

(Some hope!).:jester:

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
I have not tried knots but I have marked my stop depths on my (white) reel line in black indelible ink in the confident anticipation that one day the visibility in the North Sea will be 200 feet.
The chief advantage of knots is, of course, that you can "see" 'em in the dark.
Rick

Hi Rick,

Perhaps I should try luminous paint!

:jester:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
How do you ascend in a controlled manner without a working depth gauge or computer?

Watching the stuff I can make a slow controlled ascent without ever looking at my depth gauge/computer.
Sorry, it didn't work. The stuff was moving up and down and sideways at a very fast rate. The rock wall however seemed to be a good reference point. :wink: Oh... by the way, we were diving the Firehole River in Yellowstone Park last Saturday. :jester: Really a very fun place to dive. I think that we will have to go back in a couple of weeks. Anyone care to join us?

Back
Top Bottom