Tip du jour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
So Uncle Pug, what is this new method. You are not using one of those programmable depth controlling BCs are you?
Well Paul... it really isn't a method to replace a method... just something I am trying to get a feel for... should the ultimate stress test happen in real life.

During our Tech 1 class we ended up having to do an ascent (including deco stops) with a missing mask... but Shane had his mask and depth gauge to help with the ascent, stops and gas switch. It wasn't pretty but we survived.

But what if you had to make the ascent without visual reference at all... and without being able to see your timing device?

So I have been playing around at the end of NDL dives trying to maintain a stop for a set period of time with my eyes closed. When I can do this reliably I plan to add in a 10' ascent to the next stop.

JamesK once bubbled...
Yeah man, I had too! No choice! LOL.
If you need a shovel to get deeper than 60' and surface supplied air to get beyond the NDL... why scrub the dive? :D

Of course I didn't type the above... someone else is using my computer while I stepped out for fresh air.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

If you need a shovel to get deeper than 60' and surface supplied air to get beyond the NDL... why scrub the dive? :D

Of course I didn't type the above... someone else is using my computer while I stepped out for fresh air.

LMAO!! Exactly!!!!!! :D

The reason we don't knot the spool line is that could impede it freewheeling off the spool. When we shoot a bag we let the spool go until the bag hits the surface... if a knot caused the line to jam the spool would go up with the bag.

Never had one jam yet - and I too let it freespool.

That plus the fact that even if currents are not an issue (which they usually are) the surface wind will often pull the bag so the line is at an angle (as Spectre said.)
Come now, the angle isn't that hard to deal with. Under normal circumstances I use my depth gauge to clip off the spool in the first place - and cross check that frequently. In the absence of a depth gauge, I think I can estimate the depth based on the angle of the line better than I can using Shane & the scooter... 0 to 20 degrees, ignore it. 30 - 40 degrees use 12 ft of line for 10 ft of depth, 45 degrees every 10 ft of line is 7 ft depth. Over 45?? If it's over 45 the seas are probably 10 ft anyway... (the math, however, is easy - 60 degrees is two to one)

But what if you had to make the ascent without visual reference at all... and without being able to see your timing device?

Knots? Anyone in the market for some knots?
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
I use my depth gauge to clip off the spool in the first place -[/B]
... ready to put some knots in a spool and give it a try...

But then I read the above.... and now I am ready to discount everything you have to say!

We don't clip no stinkin' spool off to us! In fact Shane played the knuckle head Saturday and held onto the spool because of a surface wind with opposing current and his stops were always 5~10' higher than where he was supposed to be!

And what happens when you are clipped off to a bag that is in 5' waves on the surface? What kind of stops do you have then, huh???

:eek:ut: Just kidding... I'll give the knots a try. :D

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
0 to 20 degrees, ignore it. 30 - 40 degrees use 12 ft of line for 10 ft of depth, 45 degrees every 10 ft of line is 7 ft depth. Over 45?? If it's over 45 the seas are probably 10 ft anyway... (the math, however, is easy - 60 degrees is two to one)
[/B]
Protractors! Get your protractors... red hot deals on protractors here!!

... ready to put some knots in a spool and give it a try...

But then I read the above.... and now I am ready to discount everything you have to say!

We don't clip no stinkin' spool off to us!
WHOA! Pug...
We don' clip no steeeenking spool off to us either. I do "clip it off" to itself so it won't continue to unwind, then let it drift free as a reference.
I guess clipping it off to me is so foreign an idea it never occured to me that anyone would think to do it...
Rick :)

And what happens when you are clipped off to a bag that is in 5' waves on the surface? What kind of stops do you have then, huh???

:eek:ut: Just kidding... I'll give the knots a try. :D

Here's an idea. Watdya think?

5 ft swell. SMB bobbing all over the place. Hanging on to the line like grim death with one arm waving up and down like a pneumatic drill?

I have attached three foot of medium strength bungee to the SMB by a loop with a steel ring at each end; Suggested to me by a tekkie friend.

When employed this does two things.

1) It stops me hanging on the SMB line and so inforces good bouyancy control and

2) It acts as a suspension in such choppy seas, allowing my arm to "rest".

I haven't used it often but when I have it seems to work. And it tells me when I am approaching the surface.

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
Here's an idea. Wtatdya think?
We don't even hold onto the spool... but if the wind is wanting to carry it away then we need to reach out and grab it and then jerk it down to reposition it over us.

Fortunately here in the protected waters of the PNW we don't do much diving with large swells or waves overhead... however using a thin bungee *leash* might be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom