Tip Etiquette Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only tip the DM and captain. I figure the owner built his profit into the dive trip price.
Sure but what if the owner is the captain?

If you like the service there is no harm in offering a tip, even to the owner. Even if politely declined the thought will be appreciated. Not to be crass, but money is the sincerest form of flattery.

Seems like you were happy, so why not give us names. Referrals are also sincere flattery.

My barber owns her own shop, charges more than anyone else, and I only offer a tip in December - but she's fine with it.

We were at a small AI resort for two weeks. Tipped the DM and Captain very well, tipped the housekeepers and cooks; but did not tip the owner/manager. I am from Las Vegas where management is not allowed to take tips, and did not even think about tipping the owner.

The owner/manager was very helpful the whole two weeks, and since my wife and I were the only guests at the resort the last week we were there our every wish was catered to. I did not even think at all about weather or not I should have tipped him until we were back home. Some recent events have made me think I made a mistake by not tipping him.

Mistake or not?:idk::idk:

Well, I did not tip the owner.

Instead, I took him and his wife out twice for drinks
and lunch! Cost more than a tip, but a lot more fun
for everyone!!!

Well, I did not tip the owner.

Instead, I took him and his wife out twice for drinks
and lunch! Cost more than a tip, but a lot more fun
for everyone!!!

And a lot more appreciated as well, I'm sure.

Nice!

PS - how was the diving?

Just to throw in my 2 cent:

- When I go diving abroad and know that they have a german DM/Instructor/owner I try to bring some german magazine or book for them or leave my book/magazine after I have read it.
- Food which is typical for your homecountry but not available abroad or at least very expensive (for them!) to buy is usually very appreciated, too.
- Depending on the country/location you dive and the crew you dive with paying a dinner or at least some drinks is another option.
As a general rule: If I'm happy with the crew (and the diving) I try to give something back to them, being it money or another form of acknowledgment.

As I wrote just my 2 cent,

Andy

Food which is typical for your homecountry but not available abroad or at least very expensive (for them!) to buy is usually very appreciated, too.
What's the appropriate amount of sauerbraten for a two-dive charter?

Hi Vladimir, I don't know the "exchange rate" with Sauerbraten but regarding Salami I would say half of a Salami ;-)
But now seriously: When I know or think that they might be happy to get something typical from germany (or more general from your homecountry / country of residence) and it doesn't cost me that much I don't mind carrying it with me as long as it's not too heavy, breakable,... .

Andy

Hi Vladimir, I don't know the "exchange rate" with Sauerbraten but regarding Salami I would say half of a Salami ;-)
But now seriously: When I know or think that they might be happy to get something typical from germany (or more general from your homecountry / country of residence) and it doesn't cost me that much I don't mind carrying it with me as long as it's not too heavy, breakable,... .

Andy
I agree, Andy. I usually bring along some DVDs of recent movies for the crew. They are always appreciated. (But cash is still king.:D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom