Tipping at Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spending a week there doing 6 days of 3 single tank dives for two (total of 18 dives). What is the current amount to tip in Honduras? Does anyone know if we should tip at the end, or after each day?

Thanks!
Waterdance

I tip most as I go for various reasons, maid, porter, waiters, etc. I usually tip DMs daily, but it's common in Roatan to tip at the end of the week. Use US bills in good shape, no tears or marks which makes them worthless down there, and no coins. I used dollar coins some on my first trip, not realizing they couldn't do much with those. Paper money can eventually be flown back to the US from banks.

Ok, good paper money I understand. What would be a good amount for that many dives?

Let us know how many dives you really get in and tell us about the dive op. Pictures please.

How much? It's really going to depend upon the level of service.

On Roatan, I tip my divemaster and boatsman each $100 (plus a knife or watch in the $80-$100 retail range- they go through them pretty quickly) for a week of 25 dives.

These guys are all over me, I really appreciate that.

TBR is not really known as a dive resort- those 18 dives might be quite a hump, but you may well have one of the best DMs on Roatan, Osman Gomez. :crafty:

In other words, $5/tank/person is a nice base tip, more if you're impressed.

Let us know how many dives you really get in and tell us about the dive op. Pictures please.

TBR is not really known as a dive resort- those 18 dives might be quite a hump, but you may well have one of the best DMs on Roatan, Osman Gomez. :crafty:

We were originally scheduled elsewhere, but Fantasy is closing for a three month period so Maduro moved us over there. I am really interested in getting wet this trip and playing with my new toys (Camera and computer) before we head off to Galapagos in January. Thanks for the info on tipping, and looking forward to diving with Osman!

---------- Post added June 20th, 2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

Heading there on June 22nd - 2 days to go!
Any other advice on the location would be appreciated!

.... interested in getting wet this trip and playing with my new toys (Camera and computer) before we head off to Galapagos in January.

Galapagos- how are you doing that? Which liveaboard, where? Or land based? That will dictate a number of refinements to the below thoughts...

The Galapagos involves what many call advanced diving skills. All that mean is that there will be several new skills that you will have to perform all at once.

Things you can practice while in Roatan:

Do a backroll at the same instant as your buddy- synchronized and on command. Boom. If you're already good at something like a giant stride- no need to practice this. Back rolls are quite the norm in the Galapagos, and often from a visually uncomfortable height. Practicing this off the side of the boat in Roatan will be great preparation. Do it over and over until it's second nature. Do not revert back to your comfort level of a lower skill set (giant stride).

Consider attaining the skill sets for negative entry, if this is not yet within your realm- then practice synchronized entry and immediate and rapid descent to a 20' depth. This is major critical in the G as there are surface currents- no time for lollygagging at the surface doing adjustments. It can ruin everyone's dive, cost you a lot of exertion and air, and cause considerable stress. Learn the rapid orientation and descent.

At the end of your Roatan dives, practice shooting your SMB from a 20' depth, practice hanging there on the line as you do your 15 foot safety stop. In Roatan, this will be right next to the moored boat and totally for practice, in the G, the pickup boat will use this to select when to pick you up in the most expeditious order. You do not want to be on the surface in the G awaiting pickup (or anywhere else for that matter) Practice handing your tethered SMB to the boatsman, possibly letting him reel you in with the line attached to it.

Depending upoin who you dive with in the G, you may have to re-enter a ladder on a panga (way different than Roatan) or flop into a RIB. You may have to doff your gear and hand it up. If so, practice that skill, as well. If liveabaord, it depends upon which liveaboard.

Talk to your Roatan DM or consider hiring an instructor for 1/2 day and get further expert instruction on coping with the vastly different dive op infrastructure that you will be presented with in Ecuador. As far as current diving, pay attention the the Galapagos dive briefings, it should be plain fun- a lot of people fixate on that factor and miss the less obvious issues that I have delineated. On Roatan, no gloves... in the G, you may do well to buy some cheap leather palmed construction gloves. You may have to pull and claw your way over lava formations that are rife with sharp critters. Totally the accepted norm there, and it will destroy neoprene fancy gloves.

In terms of photography, most everything in the Galloping Pogos is wide angle, mostly without flash. It will be moving, likely in an opposite direction to which you are going. Obviously, there will be exceptions, but on Roatan, most everything is 18" or less in distance, mostly macro and always a flash- not moving very much.

Seek out Osman. Explain to him what you need. Tell him I said so :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom