Tipping guidelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess if its a tip, I can set the exchange rate?
Some of the comments were about paying in dollars. For example “mediumone.”

I live in a country that only uses USD as its official currency, so I totally understand that dollars can be more convenient.

Some of the comments were about paying in dollars. For example “mediumone.”

I live in a country that only uses USD as its official currency, so I totally understand that dollars can be more convenient.

It was a joke, but as any good joke, it is based in a little bit of truth. Most Coz ops tend to price their services in dollars, so using pesos may actually get you the bad exchange rate!

$5 dollars a tank? Good lord, you guys are diving cheaply in Mexico with a favorable exchange rate so most things are pretty cheap on the island. 10 bucks for a half days (or more, that starts way early) worth of back breaking work seems pretty dang frugal. I'd hate to hear what these guys say about you behind your back.

I tip $40 - $60 for a 2 tank day for me and my wife. At the end of the week when I pick up my stuff I'll usually leave another $75-$100 for the shop/rinse staff.

Most Coz ops tend to price their services in dollars, so using pesos may actually get you the bad exchange rate!

Haven't been there but I hope you're wrong. Such practices would probably be illegal: Artículo 635. La base de la moneda mercantil es el peso mexicano, y sobre esta base se harán todas las operaciones de comercio y los cambios sobre el extranjero.
Código de Comercio - Ordenamiento - Legislación

Yeah, most everybody prices in dollars. It's much more convenient for the shops and for tourists. Nobody cares what the law says, and there's no way anyone could enforce it anyhow. You'd literally have to shut down all of the tourist operations in Quintana Roo.

Most often each shop will have an exchange rate posted. It is never favorable for the tourist.

$5 dollars a tank? Good lord, you guys are diving cheaply in Mexico with a favorable exchange rate so most things are pretty cheap on the island. 10 bucks for a half days (or more, that starts way early) worth of back breaking work seems pretty dang frugal. I'd hate to hear what these guys say about you behind your back.

I tip $40 - $60 for a 2 tank day for me and my wife. At the end of the week when I pick up my stuff I'll usually leave another $75-$100 for the shop/rinse staff.

What might be right for you might not be right for others. Tip what you are comfortable with. I did 4 tanks a day and prior to going, I also researched this question. At the time, the consensus was that it was a fine amount. My dives were $37 per dive.

Tipping is a sensitive topic and this has been discussed many times over across the internet. There is tipping to compensate wages vs tipping for the sake of tipping (etiquette) vs tipping because it’s deserved.

To be honest, without being there in the moment, knowing what operator someone dived with, how the experience was, how much was done or not done, I’d say it isn’t a fair assessment to critique how others are tipping. Also, Mexico aside, many countries and cultures do not share or expect the same tipping standards of Americans. Everyone is different.

Maybe the staff are saying mean things behind people’s backs for tipping what you would consider low. I’m sure the staff are appreciative of any tips but more so with your very high tips. Have you ever been to a country where people laugh behind your back because you overpaid for something? That also happens. I’m not saying this is happening to you or that you are overpaying, but I think a little social tolerance and an open mind here would be good.

I think a little social tolerance and an open mind here would be good.
Nah, I'll pass. Divers spend thousands of dollars on crap they don't need (how many rec divers have a Perdix these days lol) and spend a lot to go on dive trips. Why all of the sudden be cheap and refuse to part with a $20 bill for the guys who wake up before the sun to lug all of your heavy crap to the boat to ensure you have a great vacation? There's a difference between being frugal/thrifty and being a cheap a$$. FTR I've never, nor would I ever, work for tips so I don't really have a dog in the fight. Just a little surprised by the responses is all.

I realize that tipping isn't customary in many locales, but we're not talking about them, we're talking about Coz.

We usually tip between $5 and $10 per tank. If we're diving multiple days with the same op, we'll put the tip money in an envelope and put the envelope in tip jar or hand it to manager. As for overtipping, there's an old saying about other service providers that can be paraphrased as "there are no $50 per tank DMs, but there are $50 per tank Gringos".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom