Tipping guidelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving 15+ yrs ago. Back then the general tipping guideline was $5 per tank. Inflation, cost of living increases, business cost increases, dive shops have raised their prices to stay in business in the past 15+ years.

If you have diving a while, you know the $5 per tank guideline has been around for a long time. Maybe it is time for the guideline to increase ?

Tip what you want, tip what you can afford, tip what you feel is appropriate.

Nah, I'll pass. Divers spend thousands of dollars on crap they don't need (how many rec divers have a Perdix these days lol) and spend a lot to go on dive trips. Why all of the sudden be cheap and refuse to part with a $20 bill for the guys who wake up before the sun to lug all of your heavy crap to the boat to ensure you have a great vacation? There's a difference between being frugal/thrifty and being a cheap a$$. FTR I've never, nor would I ever, work for tips so I don't really have a dog in the fight. Just a little surprised by the responses is all.

I realize that tipping isn't customary in many locales, but we're not talking about them, we're talking about Coz.

I think there are a lot of generalizations and assumptions here. There are many different people with many different backgrounds that are vacationing in Cozumel. While most or all of us replying to this thread are Americans, there are people vacationing in Cozumel and also reading this post who may not be actively posting from other parts of the world where tipping isn't customary. Or, living in the US but grew up or came from a region or culture that does not tip or tip as much as the American standard. We don't know their stories, how much money they paid per tank to make a certain tip amount relevant, and we certainly were not on the dive boat with them when they dove with the operator and don't know how much or how little work the crew did and how well or poorly they did. How anyone spends their money should not be dictated by others and they certainly shouldn't be made to feel inferior, whether they spend a lot or a little. I think to outright blanket someone as being a "cheap ass" for tipping less than what you would tip is pretty judgmental and crass. While tipping is greatly appreciated, any tourism to Cozumel, even without tips, is healthy for their economy. I am sure you feel that tips should be accounted for in a vacation budget and I would agree with you - if you can't afford to give tips, then you probably should re-think the budget or the vacation. (Same with travel insurance!)

I completely understand your point here and agree with the idea that we should show our appreciation for the help and hard work through tips. How much is a function of many factors which I do not think either of us should criticize anyone else for. If I were on a trip with my good friends and I thought the crew went above and beyond, I would definitely tip more than what I would normally tip to show my appreciation and would encourage my friends to do the same if they weren't already. That wouldn't work so well if they were on the trip and I weren't. How would I know what's best? I wasn't even there.

In many other countries that I have traveled to where tipping is common, normal and/or accepted, my experience has been that it is sometimes not at the same standard or expectation as the US. I'm sure this is why the OP is also asking. It might also explain why the tip amounts greatly vary.

Last edited:
Seems this topic comes up a lot though maybe not as a separate thread.

We tip each day in coz. Crew changes. There may be an additional tip at end of week for the shop. If we screwed up and forgot adequate tip money one day, that is also left at the shop with DM/captain name.

We usually tip in pesos because that's what we likely have, though if we are short on pesos and have dollars we lose no sleep over tipping in dollars.

We will tip a minimum $500 peso note for us two and usually toss in a few extra small notes especially if it has been a light boat.

If in doubt, tip extra. We've learned that it doesn't make a material difference in our finances in the long run. The extra tip might mean a new pair of shoes for a DM's little daughter.

If in doubt, tip extra. We've learned that it doesn't make a material difference in our finances in the long run. The extra tip might mean a new pair of shoes for a DM's little daughter.

This applies everywhere, in every service industry where tips are expected to be a major part of your compensation. That extra tip might mean a new pair of shoes for a [waitress's, shoe shine guy's, bellman's, etc.] little daughter. I worked in bars and restaurants as a younger and poorer man, and if each of my customers had tipped an extra dollar, it certainly would have been meaningful to me.

The extra tip might mean a new pair of shoes for a DM's little daughter.
Just read this post and the first thought that came to mind was "That's where Put Another Dollar In came from"

Cheers -

Sometimes I wonder if we are underestimating the DM/captain/etc.'s ability to make money, since we are all "rich folk from US/Canada", or wherever. I sometimes wonder if they are, in fact, financially better off than me. I mean, you really never know, right?

Just say'in. I have actually no idea if there was a point to that.

Update: After some more thinking...I'm confident to say that I tip because I think the crew did a great job and I'm very appreciative of all their hard work, looking out for me, helping to get me and my equipment onto the boat, being nice to me, keeping me safe, etc., NOT because I think they need the extra money to buy their daughter a pair of shoes. I think they'd be offended by that.

Last edited:
Nah, I'll pass. Divers spend thousands of dollars on crap they don't need (how many rec divers have a Perdix these days lol) and spend a lot to go on dive trips. Why all of the sudden be cheap and refuse to part with a $20 bill for the guys who wake up before the sun to lug all of your heavy crap to the boat to ensure you have a great vacation? There's a difference between being frugal/thrifty and being a cheap a$$. FTR I've never, nor would I ever, work for tips so I don't really have a dog in the fight. Just a little surprised by the responses is all.

I realize that tipping isn't customary in many locales, but we're not talking about them, we're talking about Coz.
My DM's and Captains in Cozumel are salaried employees. They do not "work for tips". My tips are in addition to their monthly salaries.

Tip what you want, tip what you can afford, tip what you feel is appropriate.

I tip what I can afford. We all know that everything in Cozumel is based on the U.S. dollar. Coming from north of the 49th parallel, our dollar can be 20% - 30% less in value than the American dollar - this adds 20% - 30% to the cost of the trip. As my local dive shop hasn't organized a trip to Cozumel in several years, I usually wind up paying a "single occupancy" rate. The "single occupancy" rate can be several hundred dollars more over a two week period, all is U.S. dollars. :eek: Try as I might, I can never seem to get a roommate to help lower the cost (double occupancy rate), therefore any extra I have available for tips is much less than I would like. :(

I do tip to the best of my affordability, which may or may not be what others are tipping. I also refer anyone who asks about Cozumel to the resort of my choice - I know some of our local divers have used the resort based on my recommendation. The resort also gets my repeat business when I can afford to make the trip.

Divegoose

My DM's and Captains in Cozumel are salaried employees. They do not "work for tips". My tips are in addition to their monthly salaries.
They sure are! Just like you and I. I hear small Coz dive ops offer extensive benefits packages like us fortunate enough to be born in the USA are accustomed to. I hear it's the best 401K with 100% company match, health coverage, stock options, bonus structures, etc..........They have it so nice. I'm pretty jealous I don't get to lug around a bunch of heavy gear all day.

I dunno, I'm not trying to be an a$$. Maybe it's just been my own dumb luck, but I always pay attention to what the boat does when it's tip time. I pay attention because often times I'll tip extra heavy if there was a couple of n00b divers on the boat that may not be familiar with tipping just yet or whatever. I can't tell you how many times I've heard divers praise and thank the crew for the greatest day of their life and then hand the captain $10 bucks to split among themselves LOL. Gee, thanks.

I wonder what a boat crew would prefer if they had to choose between a boat load of divers that make their job easy but do not tip well or a boat full of very difficult divers that tip very well?

Back
Top Bottom